Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

FLAGS SHOULD FLY HALF MAST...

A sad day for me as today, I read
news articles of the loss of one of my favorite
public women, 
NANCY REAGAN.
I have said before,
My daddy, who was in WWII
always taught us children that whether
you agree with who is President or not,
once they are President, you are to hold them
in honor. Once they are President, having the hard
job of running our country they deserve respect.
AS a teen, our President was Ronald Reagan.
I have always loved the woman behind two
of those Presidents, First, Jackie O
and the second, Nancy Reagan.
What I admired most was her undying love
for her husband. She was the epitome of what
a first lady should be. Some may not know that
a first lady has jobs that are expected of them.
Yet, for Nancy, her first and most important
job was loving her husband and she did it 
fiercely, first as the First Lady,
always standing by his side and being 
known for "the gaze" when he spoke,
staring lovingly at the man who she called "her Ronnie"
She began the campaign to teach young children
the dangers of drugs and was known to have
made the statement "JUST SAY NO" 
a household saying.
She also actually made women think getting a Mammogram
was like a vacation day.
Many women got their breast exams because Nancy
spoke about its importance so often.
Having had a sister who had breast cancer twice,
I am so thankful for what she did to make
Mammogram a household name.
She never forgot, however
that her first role was to protect her husband.
I remember the day, long after they were out of 
the White House, when she gave a press conference
saying "her Ronnie" has Alzheimer's and that
"every day is a challenge"
After that day she always made sure that the public
would never see our former President in the state
of what Alzheimer's brings to a body.
She. like me, loved the color Red.
There is even a color called "Reagan Red"
Having come from old Hollywood as an actor,
many felt like Ronald Reagan did not have 
what it took to run a country, his wife
never doubted him. For me, he has been 
one of the Presidents I admired the most.
With Nancy behind him, always protecting
him he remained famous through her words.
RIP Nancy Reagan and as her step son reminded us
in a news cast last night,
"Mom is finally where she has always wanted to be
next to Her Ronnie"
and as I said yesterday,
flags should fly half mast, today they do at
the White House and in many places all over our USA.

1 comment: