Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

what's lil giving on thanksgiving?






Well all I am thankful for, of course!
The holidays this year are different for me.
Having one child married living over an hour away
and a family who lives an hour the other way has me
torn on exactly what to do over the holidays.
Ronnie being in Alaska, well it just finds
my immediate family separated.
Because the car is not exactly fun for me
I dread sometimes knowing I have to get in it
and make the trip to visit those whom I love.
It wasn't until yesterday morning that I made
my final decision on what exactly I would do
but as usual, once I make my decision it is pretty final.
I called Rod and texted Kd to say Jesi and I was coming
over to have supper with them.
Kd had worked so I planned to leave in time to get
there about an hour before she got home,
go eat and back in the car to get home.
Oh, how thankful I am on this Thanksgiving day that I did.
Sometimes inside of myself, I want to believe
it's not such a big deal if I miss a holiday with my
children, why after all they are big kids now...
Jesi and I get there and there is so much for Roddie to
share with us. There is the brand new truck he
just bought him that is amazingly beautiful!
Rod doesn't show excitement often anymore
but this he is happy about,
showing Jes and I all the features in the truck
and offering to drive to Fat Daddy's so we can
ride in his new wheels.
He saved me some poo-doo breast wrapped in bacon
stuffed with cheese and Jalapenos that he
cooked for Kd the day before.
Those things were amazing and I devoured them!
He fills me in on all his hunting adventures and there is one
moment, he bends down to get something and he
is looking up at me over the kitchen counter,
he is telling me something but I am just staring at
him as I get a flashback of him as a little boy
saying, "Mom, I need some loving"
I am amazed that this man once lived in my body...
sometimes these thoughts are just surreal.
Kd comes in and she is so tired but she puts on her
happy face and we go to Fat Daddy's
where the poor-boys are amazing
and the fried portabello mushrooms are to die for.
As we always do when Jesi and Roddie are together,
we reminisce of old times.
I watch Baby Girl remember things with her
photographic memory and spill out stories
that Rod and I have forgotten until she mentions them.
Kd is laughing so hard she is crying and
Rod and Jesi are laughing at their memories.
Again, for a little while I am amazed that
these two grown children belonged to me at one time.
I am transported back to the times they are
speaking of, I am their Mother, I was there,
I remember and I am proud.
They are beautiful in looks, they are beautiful in personality
and they came from me and the only man
I ever loved, their Daddy.
I look over at Kd and can't remember her not
being there, so thankful that my son
found this wonderful woman to share his life with.
I am overwhelmed with love for these three young adults.
Honored that I am still important enough
in their lives that they still enjoy time with me.
My heart is full, there is nothing I want.
So today I head down-the-bayou to spend time
with my Mumsie and family that I grew up with myself.
Veronica, as always, comes through for us who make
the trip down there. We can always depend on her
for something on the holidays.
I long for her house most holidays just because it has
always been her house I spent holidays at as my
children grew up.
After Mom sold the family home to C and Ted
Veronica's home became the gathering place.
Except for Xmas eve when we would meet
at C's for that holiday.
Every Sunday when my kids were growing, she would
cook and we would gather.
Sometimes we played board games,
sometimes we just gossiped
but being together was the most important.
Always her house and I still want it.
I want it and the people who meet there,
I want my Mumsie there with me.
I want to see my nieces and nephews and their offspring.
So I end this long-winded blog
by adding a prayer that C taught me when I was
little, one she made up and I said every night while
growing up just because, at the time, it covered everyone:
GOD BLESS MY MOMMA AND DADDY
SISTERS, BROTHERS, NIECES, NEPHEWS,
AUNTS, UNCLES, COUSINS, FRIENDS,
THOSE WHO I LIKE AND
THOSE WHO I DISLIKE
AMEN
Of course, these days I have to add
husband, children...
but the prayer today is still appropriate:
Happy Thanksgiving to all
Don't forget to journal,
What are you thankful for?

5 comments:

  1. HAVE TO LET YOU ON TO THIS ONE! EVERY YEAR I SAY THAT I AM NOT COOKING AND EVERY YEAR I MANAGE TO EAT NOT ONLY GUMBO, TURKEY, RICE DRESSING, ETC. BUT MY OWN WORDS. LAST YEAR FOR CHRISTMAS, I DIDN'T COOK AND IT WAS THE MOST TERRIBLE CHRISTMAS I EVER HAD. I TOLD THIS TO C MILLIONS OF TIMES. I HOPE I NEVER GO THRU ANOTHER CHRISTMAS DAY LIKE I DID LAST YEAR. ME AND CJ ALL ALONE ALL DAY LONG! WHERE ARE MY KIDS AND GRANDKIDS? I WANT THEM NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! MOST FAMOUS WORDS ALL DAY CHRISTMAS DAY 2008!

    THANKS LIL, I REMEMBER OUR SUNDAY DINNERS. CAN'T THINK WHY I STOPPED!

    L Y'LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can promise you that you will have us for Christmas. You don't have to worry about us!! We only live across the street!!! You are always welcomed to have MY KIDS!! I know you'll send them back! I love you, MOM!

    Our thanksgiving was good! I cooked at our house for Gilbert's family, and then went to enjoy sometime with my family. We looked at old pictures and reminised! It was fun!

    Lil, What will it take for you NOT to post those silly pictures of me? How about some scrapbook stuff?
    LOVE
    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh Tie, I haven't even started to work with those babies but you know my saying:

    when you least expect it, you're elected, you're our star today, smile....

    ReplyDelete
  4. poule (as in chicken) and d'eau (as in water) --- WATER CHICKEN --- COOT --- OR POULE D' EAU... not poo doo... we've had enough of poo doo. YEP... I'M BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww miss lily this post was beautiful. I teared up a lil...i definately miss the holidays the way that they used to be when I was younger. I know that parents get sad about the way things have changed but so do us kids. I miss those holidays all together.

    ReplyDelete