Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

7 deadly sins

We are all familiar with the 10 commandments,
being taught these as children and being told
if we follow these, we are going to be right with the Big Man.
As an adult I was introduced to the 7 deadly sins:
PRIDE
GREED
GLUTTONY
LUSH
SLOTH
ENVY
ANGER
I know at many times I have suffered from these 
at different times in my life.
I think we all have.
Which had me thinking why would these be considered
the "deadly sins".
I mean, worshiping other Gods, stealing, murder, adultery,
you would think these would be more deadly than the others.
Yesterday I did lots of reading as the back decided to go out on me.
I read why one author believes these are deadly and I tend to 
agree with her thoughts.
"It turns out they are deadly sins not because of their gravity
but because of their power to generate other, worse sins.
They are the gateway sins to the big ones."
Yes, this makes sense to me as they are easier to accept.
If I murder, steal, commit adultery, then it is very easy to 
see I got it wrong and I need to ask for forgiveness soon.
Yet, glutton.... If I eat two desserts when I am already full,
who would think of that as a big deal. 
Yet, If I do this every day, I don't take care of myself,
I become overweight and I can defend myself to others.
Anger, how can any of us go through a life without being angry.
However if I become angry and it is accepted, then it makes
it easier to stay angry because others just project 
that it is the way I am.
That changes my personality, who I am supposed to be.
Working on correcting these 7 sins are actually harder to keep
than the 10 commandments.
I suffer at different times in my life from each of them.
Sloth I worry about often.
Yesterday, I stayed in bed most of the day because of 
a terrible back ache. As I did, I also read the above.
I right away feel guilty for feeling like a sloth.
See why these sins become the hardest?
Because the line is so fine as to what is the actual sin 
and what is needed to recuperate.
Today, I will try not to "sloth" my life away
even if the pain is worse today.
I still should be able to do something of worth.
Living a good, clean life becomes harder when you 
accept the 7 deadly sins as something to work on.


No comments:

Post a Comment