Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

SAVING BOBBY

While the weather was nasty this weekend and I 
and HOBL, better known these days as Broke Back,
one of the Lifetime movies we watched was 
SAVING BOBBY
I had seen it before, way in the 90's when my babies
were still that,  children living under my roof.
The first time I saw it I had no idea gypsy baby was gay.
As I watched it again on Sunday I had so many feelings.
The movie is based in the years between 1979-1983.
The world has changed so much since then.
the synopsis is about a young adult who shares 
with his family that he is gay.
His mother then proceeds not only to beg
him to change his ways via religion
but attempts to pray him straight.
After being unable to convince his family that he is 
a good, loving son still, he decides to commit suicide
in a manner that can be labeled as nothing but
very brave, he jumps off a bridge to his death.
I cried again seeing the movie, even though
I knew how it would end. His mother, after his death,
not only finds out the things she should have while Bobby was alive
but becomes an advocate for other people who are gay.
A little too late for Bobby.
This time watching was different,
because this time I have a close relationship to Bobby 
because of my own gypsy baby.
I am so thankful that I and HOBL handled gypsy baby's 
announcement so different from Bobby's mother.
Never did I ever think I could or should change her
but my unconditional love came into high gear,
wanting to not only share it with the world but to make sure
the world was good to her.
On this Sunday, my "empty nest" issues came into high gear.
I wanted to go back in time to the first time I saw this movie.
I wanted gypsy baby to be young again so I can make 
sure I relayed to her that I would love her no matter what,
that I did not care whether she was gay, or purple
that I love her always.
I know she knew this without the words,
but I wanted to do it again all the same.
I also wanted her little again because no matter how much
the world has changed since 1983, it still has so far to go in relations
to gay people and couples and I want to protect my gypsy baby 
from the negatives.  I know my gypsy baby, she needs no 
protection from the world, my tough skinned girl,
but I want another chance to do it anyway.
My girl, she is a child of God whether she knows it or cares.
She has about as much choice at being gay as she does at breathing air.
The Big Man, he loves her as she is,
and there should never, ever be any talk from anyone 
about her changing for the betterment of her relationship with her
higher power. 
Too bad Bobby could not be saved as for my gypsy baby,
she does not need saving, she is perfect just the way she is.
Love to my gay baby and all those out there who 
face the criticism of the close minded people of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I Didn't know Jesi was gay till this morning how can my family keep this from me, Now I can come out the closet. Know I can quit saying the novena to try and change myself, them dam prayers never did work. Can I have a amen sister Jesi you little heathen gay girl. Now we got something in common.
    Love your gay dad

    ReplyDelete