Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Paleontologist, were it not for Vietnam.

On Friday, after picking up Bean from daycare,
she and I made a little trip to Wally-World.
As always, we make a trip to the toy aisles.
Our Plaquemine Walmart has lots missing but the one
thing in high abundance is TOYS!
My bean chooses two one dollar dinosaurs and a giraffe.
We head to the check out counter as she has her
dinosaurs kiss each other as well as herself and I.
While waiting, I notice a disheveled older man behind us.
Bean, being like her Mumsie in some ways, has to 
make conversation with this man as she
shows him her dinosaurs.
"She likes those dinosaurs, huh?"
Yes, I explain she chose them over the Barbie I really wanted to get.
He begins to tell me about his interest in dinosaurs
and about how he has been to Texas where there is a park 
all about dinosaurs. Of course, I embark in conversation.
I take a better look at our new friend.
He probably has just gotten off of work as he
is quite dirty with steel-toe boots,
his hair can use a good wash and cut,
there are some dental problems...
and yet, he is the nicest man, spending
his afternoon to speak to me and the cute little
girl with dinosaurs in her hands.
He then under his breath says,
"I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up.."
He has a wistful look on his face.
"... then Vietnam happened and all that changed."
I right away, again think of my brother, another
Vietnam soldier.
I wonder, could this man have been a paleontologist
had it not been for a war who took away dreams from him?
My first thoughts are, no way, there doesn't seem to be
the education there that would have involved this.
I am wrong, I believe, because as he continues to explain
stories of what he has seen at this park,  I know 
had been given the chance, he like many young minds out there
could have achieved all he would have wanted.
I explain,
"My brother was in Nam, we lost a part of him over there."
He nods his head, makes eye contact with me and
says, 
"I left a big part of myself over there."
Again, I am left with the wonderment of what our world would 
be had there never been wars.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I wonder that too. All we have to do is to spend time with someone and listen to learn more. It's like peeling an onion to get beneath the layers. Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew a guy who went off to war then came home to be a gynocologist ..... which means he stares right at the cause of the very first war.... go figure

    ReplyDelete