Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Gabby, missing 15 year old.

Yesterday, I was determined to see my gypsy baby,
to spend some quality time at the movie theater.
When I left home, I did not know about the chemical spill
that would keep me traveling for almost 12 hours!
I could have been in Disney!
The last thing you want is to be caught in Baton Rouge
during rush hour, even less if the interstate is closed.
I was very thankful to have XM Radio
and a journal I had just bought.
Spent much time writing and listening.
The most disheartening story I heard was of a missing
15 year old girl known as Gabby.
I became sick to my stomach while listening to the story
and also could not change the channel.
I had not heard of this missing child before being
stuck on the interstate. 
Nancy Grace can make you crazy but she asks the questions.
The story goes that her single mother decides,
because of  the pressure of the job, that she will go into work
on Saturday morning at 3:45, to finish a project that is due
on Monday. Many ask, why would she do this?
She is not the one here who should be being questioned
and yet she is. She explains she did this so she could spend
the weekend with her daughter.
When she returns at 7Am all she hears is Gabby's alarm going
off and sees no child anywhere. I can only imagine what went through
her mind. Her child is gone and all else missing is her cell phone.
She does what each of us naturally would do first,
she called her cell phone, it rings and rings. 
The next time, it goes straight to voicemail.
I can cry thinking of the Mom's next few minutes.
I know that feeling. On gypsy baby's 21st bday,
I lost her for a few wee-morning hours due to a miscommunication
and I was a crazy person. Got in my car and drove the streets of
Thibodaux looking for her.
Come to find out, she had sent me a text saying she was sleeping
at her friend. I never got the text.
This mother calls the police and the search begins.
I hate that in the normal process of things the Mom has to be questioned,
this is a good single parent. The kind who at 10pm at night
takes her child's cell phone away to assure she is not on it
early into the morning hours. The only reason Gabby had
her cell that morning was because this Mom gave it back to her
because she was leaving. Many have made comments as 
to the strangeness of why the mother leaves at this time of the night.
It makes me want to scream as I know there are many mothers
who work in early morning hours, take call.
There are many single mothers in the same position,
I think of our own Tedi-girl and her Mom who is a single parent,
She is a nurse who is often on call. She can get called out at any time of the night.
I am so glad that Tedi-girl has the privilege of having her apartment being
connected to her grandmother so she is never alone if her Mom has to leave.
More about this young girl.
She is not a run away, she loves her mother, they are inseparable,
she just made the dance team, is in a band, an honor student.
This child running away, again would be like our Tedi-girl 
running away, she just would not do it.
She would never have us worry and suffer because of running away.
This seems to be the child Gabby was.
I know this post has been long and maybe even hard to read.
This child deserves not only one post but the whole world looking
and praying for her and her family, especially her Mother.
Follow her story by googling MISSING GABBY
and pray, against the odds, that she is found
safe and sound.

1 comment:

  1. So heart breaking. Praying for Gabby and her Mom.

    ReplyDelete