Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

A CAMERA, TWO KIDS AND A CAMEL

As most of you know, I belong to a Facebook book club.
Yeah, yeah, call me a geek...
Last month the book could not be purchased on Ibooks
so I had to buy the old fashioned, good smelling, 
hard cover book. Unfortunately, there was an address
mix-up with Amazon and I just received the book a few 
days ago,  long past the book night to discuss this one.
I figured I would not read it right away, focusing on 
this months book instead.
Yet, when the book came in I was intrigued, fell in love 
with the cover and the excitement of holding the book in my hand.
Last night, I settled in the comfy bed of HOBL and I's 
to at least begin the book.
Because it is mostly a picture book, I did not stop until 
well past 10:00pm and I had read it from cover to cover.
If you do not purchase another book this year, 
purchase this one for your family, it is a coffee table 
book, meant to not only be looked at but to be read.
It is based and written by 
ANNIE GRIFFITHS BELT
Her writing has me wanting to conquer the world.
It made me wish I had been so brave as to travel the world
as this woman has done. 
It made me appreciate my gypsy baby more for the 
courage she has to just go and live her life,
hoping that she too, does some traveling and following of dreams.
The basis of the authors writing
is that she is a photographer for National Geographic.
She married her husband after making a trip for NG as the writer.
They had two children, Charlie and Lilly who accompanied 
them on most of their excursions all over the world.
Annie speaks of her husband being the writer,
I beg to differ. You will see from her beautiful photos
that she is a first class photographer but you will also see
her writing from her heart is the making of an awesome writer.
I think of her children, who are now older, one in college, the other
in high school and the life they have lived traveling the whole world.
I am envious of these kids and even have a short lapse of 
actually being jealous of not having been born to these parents.
One of the reasons of many that I had to finish the book last night
is her wonderful writing on what she now believes to be true having
traveled and met so many people all over the world:
"AS A PHOTOGRAPHER I HAVE LEARNED
THAT WOMEN REALLY DO HOLD UP HALF OF THE SKY.
THE LANGUAGE ISN'T ALWAYS NECESSARY, BUT 
TOUCH USUALLY IS, THAT ALL PEOPLE ARE NOT
ALIKE, BUT THEY DO MOSTLY HAVE THE SAME
HOPES AND FEARS, THAT JUDGING OTHERS
DOES GREAT HARM BUT LISTENING TO THEM
ENRICHES, THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HATE A GROUP
OF PEOPLE ONCE YOU GET TO KNOW ONE OF THEM
AS AN INDIVIDUAL."
Is this not one of the most beautiful sentences you have ever read?
This is exactly how I feel put into words so eloquently.
Sit and read that sentence a few times. 
Really, let it sink in and really think about all it says.
I now have a desire to learn more about the world.
I have a desire to start a collection of
National Geographic and learn all about the my world that I have
so neglected in my past. I have the time, I want to learn
thanks to Annie Griffiths Bell
and her wonderful book,
A CAMERA, TWO KIDS AND A CAMEL

1 comment:

  1. Nice abstract of the book! I, too, enjoyed reading the passages in this visually gorgeous production!

    ReplyDelete