Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

SHRIMP PEELING

My cutie-patootie son who I call Roddie
went trawling and brought his momma an ice chest
of shrimp to peel!
This is what I learned about myself
as I peeled my lovely shrimp:
1) I Love to peel shrimp
2) I love to peel shrimp outside.
3) I love packing them in ziplocs and laying them
to freeze in the freezer.
Many memories come to me as I sit
and peel my lovely shrimp.
Of course, most are childhood memories.
We all waited for Daddy to come home from trawling.
Daddy would back that boat up into our run-down driveway,
get out the car and talk about how his day was.
Then he and Mom would unload the ice-chests
under the carport that never really protected a car
and set themselves up for a peeling festival.
Dad would sit on a bucket over his ice-chest.
He's put a piece of wood over that chest
and on that wood would be his bowl for the shrimp,
one for the heads.
He was the fastest head breaker I remember.
Mom was not so savvy.
she would fix her water with vinegar to dip
her hands in when they became too slippery.
I do that, too.
Can't peel shrimp without vinegar...

7 comments:

  1. Remember when Morris, Jr. would show up to "help". By the time he was ready to leave, he had probably consumed a case of beer and staggered back to the hotel...How about the yellow granuals that was always put on the ground for the flies. Did that really work, do you think????

    I hate to peel shrimp and would rather buy them from the store already done. I hate to peel shrimp...if there is one thing on this earth that I ABSOLUTELY hate....you know what it is....yep, peeling shrimp....hate it....won't do it. There is ONE EXCEPTION to this rule and that is if the shrimp are already boiled, however, if I get one, just one, that has a "Sticky" skin, forget it, I'm headed to the fridge for a luncheon meat sandwich. Hate to peel freaking shrimp, man, it just brings me back to an unhappy place!!!

    That's all I'm gonna say about that!! Hey, NeNa, thanks again for the Momma Financial Update...you're doing a great job and we thank you so very much for all you do!!

    Love y'all,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nannie,
    I hate peelin shrimp! It's the one thing I hate to do the most. I'm with you Aunt C.
    Love,
    Cammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL, SISTAS, I LIKE PEELING SHRIMP. GUESS I TAKE AFTER MY DEAR OLD DAD WITH THIS ONE. I HAVE A BOWL WITH UNPEELED SHRIMP, I HAVE A BOWL FOR THE PEELED SHRIMP WITH WATER AND ICE, AND I HAVE A BOWL WITH VINIGAR WATER. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEBODY WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE?

    THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!

    LU
    RONNIE

    YOU WELCOME "SNOT NOSE C" I ENJOY DOING IT. I DO FINANCIALS FOR MOM, TIE, SENIOR CITIZENS CENTER AND OF COURSE MYSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know if you lay them on the drive way for a day or so the heads fall right off. No need to snap them off. This also works for oysters as well. Make sure it's nice and hot out for the best effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yea, Anon....I'd had to be around the poor person who eats those shrimp and oysters...oh man...but you know, even that is still not worse than peeling freaking shrimp...hate it, right Cammi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, y'all, me the "Spell Check Queen" meant to say, "I'd hate (not had...ppppuuuu)to be around..."

    My bad!!!
    C
    P.S. do y'all know how much I freaking HATE to peel shrimp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, C!

    ReplyDelete