Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A day of a rare happening, the ones that make me the happiest


There are many things that are not explained when becoming a parent.
How often have you heard,
"Wish they would come with instruction books"
When in the heat of it, you think, it'll never end.
You think this during the good times, you think this through the bad times.
You do your best as a parent to make sure you teach them
what family means and being a sibling means.
Then it happens, they grow up and begin to live their own lives.
They still love each other and would do anything for the other
but their time together, their time with you becomes slimmer and slimmer.
It happened to me with my siblings, it happened to my
two babies, and believe me, it will happen to your babies.
So, when those days come that they are together again
under the same roof for no matter how long it is, 
you treasure it. You savor it. You watch them.
You watch them with the next generation as the proud daddy
explains to the Nannie all his little girl is, all she does.
You watch them catch up on the months that have passed 
since they were together.
Most importantly you realize, that just like you,
no matter how much time it is since you see your sibling,
they bond of growing up together is there and there 
are no words needed to explain the bond that will always be there.
None of us feel like we get enough time with 
gypsy baby, it's because she works a lot but also because
she is busy living her own life.
She is the baby, our baby and we want her to see us more
but we also understand that she is a grown woman now,
with a life outside of us. 
Yesterday was one of those rare days.
Yesterday I had my two babies together for the majority of the day.
We also had the added pleasure of KD getting away from 
work to have lunch with us.
We all played with Bean as she showed off for us and
especially her Nannie all those things she now can do.
When Baby boy was my only one and I wasn't sure
if I could have another, I prayed for a sibling for him.
I wanted him to have something in the way of family 
in case something happened to HOBL and I.
We were blessed with gypsy baby and she is so different
from all of us and it is those differences that makes us love her so much.
When in our presence, she becomes all of our baby again.
I know, after watching them, that even if they don't spend
the amount of time together that they once did,
they will always have each others back.
I know they irritate each other sometimes but that sibling bond,
has been instilled in them and when life gets bad for them,
they will call each other, they will always do for each other.
They will always enjoy their time together even if it isn't as often
as it once was.
After BB left with Bean to take his own nap with his own
baby and her Mommy,
me and gypsy baby headed to my bed for a nap together.
When we are together, she reverts back to my baby,
allows me to hug her, love her, pet her hair,
nap with her. I need this, so does she.
After we have been sleeping for an hour or so,
her daddy comes in to do his own loving on his baby girl.
She pushes him away, of course, but all the same,
she loves it, because even in HOBL's eyes, she is our baby.
I think she comes home sometimes just for this because
don't we all, sometime just need to be loved by your momma and daddy?
So you out there, with your little ones under toe,
with those sibling fights going on in your home, those that
you wish would just go away as you try and get them to 
understand that one day they will need each other,
enjoy it, bask in it.
Soon they will be gone and living their separate lives.
They will call you to complain about the other
and you will listen and try not to add any sentences to
their paragraph because you will know, that no doubt
about it, that when the time comes, they will
be there for each other, because you have taught them well.
Yesterday was a rare event in the the Riera home.
One that I will remember forever, not for the big stuff that didn't happen
but for the little things, the jokes, the sharing
that I were lucky to be a part of.
Love your babies.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Sista! Lil, I may have found a way to get back to my babies!! I'll keep ya'll posted. Love ya my BS=Baby Sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey baby stster it goes on and on. we sisters still enjoy each other's togerness no matter how short. we got that from mom and dad ah those bar b qs love mone

    ReplyDelete