Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

there is always a story, and I will find it.

Kd, being the best DIL ever fills me in on an estate sale today 
and tomorrow in Plaquemine,
I drive around and find it.
It's in the cutest little old house ever and as usual,
an estate sale usually means a death of someone who belonged
to the ones hosting the sale.
I find out from one of the daughters that the house and its
contents belonged to her 95 year old mother named Vera.
She did fine, lived on her own and still drove until 3 months age
when her colon ruptured and it was not found until it was too late
causing her to die from peritonitis.
I say to her it's hard to be sad with having had her live to 95
but I also understand hard letting her go as my own Mommy is 92.
Most of the things left for sale are normal household items.
I know however that I am compelled to buy something.
One, because I just want to own something that belonged to Vera
and two, because I like old stuff.
I buy a few containers to use in my scrap room and....
I buy this cool, although tacky ice bucket that I know no 
one else owns. It is plexiglass with silver tongs
the top has 4 Plexiglass ice cubes.
SO tacky and I love, adore it!!!
I have needed an ice bucket forever and I had to have it.
As I check out, I get to meet Vera's older but very handsome son.
I can tell this is hard for him, sitting in the home he grew up in
watching his Mothers things go for dollars.
I make small talk with him explaining I am going to
use some of these things in my scrap room and will
think of his Mother each time I use them.
He becomes a little choked up and says how hard this is.
"It's like invading her private life, one that she is unable to live."
I get what he is saying and share with him that I understand
exactly how he feels because my Mommy is 92 and we are so blessed
to still have them and remain selfish in loosing them because 
we are always just their little girls and boys always.
He shakes his head yes,
says it's exactly how it feels.
So as I wash my beautiful ice bucket and the containers 
I will use in my scraprooom I complete the promise I made
to Vera's son,
each time I look or use them,
I will think of his Mother.

1 comment: