Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11...

It is 11 years since the September 11 Catastrophe.
It happened on a Tuesday.
I remember, it was a beautiful morning,
one like today. A cool sunny morning.
Like the  shooting of Kennedy, it is said,
we all will never forget what we were doing,
where we were when the second plane went
through the towers and the world realized this was not an accident
but an attack.
The youngest child was 2,
Christine Hanson. She would be 13 now.
The oldest was 11 and there were 5 children who lost their
lives between these two.
Yes, 8 children in all.
Eight children who were supposed to be in the world today
just because of their age.
Baby boy was 16 and baby girl was 12, just one year older
than the oldest child to die in the towers.
They are now both adults, living their lives as those 8 children should be.
Life goes on after such a tragedy and yet, being an American,
on this day, all of us are thinking of this day.
A day history was made for a negative reason.
President Bush has been put down much for the things
he did as President in 2001. I believe he handled the first few
days after this date well. I felt I could see the stress on his face
each time he was speaking of it, visiting the site, the families.
A war still exists today because of this disaster.
Because of this we have lost many other soldiers all in the name
of 9/11.
Today give  the respect this day calls all of us to give.
Say a prayer for all those who were lost and continue to fight
in the name of freedom.
Every year I remember the day with one of the patients who 
came into Dr. Hutchinsons office that day, I think I tell this story here
each year when the date comes up.
He was an older gentleman battling cancer, was in WW II
and even though we were told not to make a much talk to our 
patients about the tragedy, I was highly upset the morning I checked him in.
He too, was teary eyed. I bring up the episode and he looks at 
me in the eyes, with his heart showing through his own eyes and makes 
one statement,
"We fought in WWII so that you kids would never have to see this."
I will never forget this day nor this man.
Make this a day of honor.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Lil you are so right. Everyone will always remember where they were and what they were doing on that tragic day. I myself was rocking my sweet 9 month old grandaughter, Cameron, singing to her "It's raining, it's pouring, the ole man is snooring.." with the volume of the TV off and just the picture. I kept seeing it being shown on TV, but blew it off as some type of movie or something else cause there is no way that could be real. They kept showing it over and over until I finally picked up the remote to turn up the volume. My heart sank and I became very, very afraid. I'll never forget the feeling. I collapsed back in the rocker that I was just joyfully rocking and singing in. Oh my God help us all, were my first words! I took one look at that beautiful baby girl and I hugged and squeezed her so tight, rocking and balling my eyes out and thinking to myself..."my poor baby girl, what kind of world will she have to live in??????" United we stand, divided we fall! GOD BLESS THE USA!!

    ReplyDelete