Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

and then there is gypsy baby

... and my dear, dear, gypsy baby...
Yes, there has been a few scary moments when raising gypsy baby.
I had lunch with her yesterday and
remembered how much I love that child, how
she is still so much just my baby.
Two memories come to mind when thinking of the old
days of gypsy baby, I will share one today.
The first was when she was in elementary school.
It was a rare event, tornado in lower Lafourche parish.
HOBL and I had both been there at her school for 
an end of school play. The weather began to get bad
as we were leaving, dark clouds much wind.
I had to go back to work so I sent HOBL back in to
check out gypsy baby so I would not have to worry 
about her on the bus.
As I got back to work, a tornado was spotted in our neighborhood
and I was so worried. I had spoken to BB so I knew
he was home and I knew HOBL had gypsy so
I had some relief that they were okay.
Just as soon as the weather passed I rushed home
to check on my family, my neighborhood.
HOBL was animated in telling me how when he got 
home he saw a tornado heading into our back yard.
Baby boy, his typical old self was crying and saying
he had to throw up as HOBL put him in the car
as well as grabbing the neighbor Jessica off the bus
and putting her whole family in the car and driving away.
Okay, I know after the fact, it was probably dumb to put

them all in the car with a tornado coming but it's what he did.
As the stories were told, the neighbors all out assessing the damage
of our neighborhood, I realized my gypsy was no where around
all the other kiddies. I asked HOBL where she was
and then it hit  him....
He was not able to check her out of school because he did not
have the check out card that was necessary at the time
so they she had to stay at school.
What????? I freaked, where was my gypsy baby?
I was frantic, but thankfully it was just moment after I realized
that she was missing that Ms. Lucy came down the street
with down power lines to drop my precious cargo off.
I hugged her so tight, felt so guilty that she was not
with us during such a scary time.
She told her side of the story that when Ms. Lucy saw
the bad weather she unloaded the bus into the hall of
the school where they all sat safely and quietly "Like Indians"
as they waited for the weather to pass. She said,
"We sang songs, and my teacher was nice but I wanted you"
...She came home.....
Connecticut children did not...

1 comment: