Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

helicopter view

Last year while teaching religion to 37 tenth graders
one of my students returned to class after having lost her Dad
in a car accident. She questioned myself and her peers
why the God I talked so good about could take her Dad.
She shared that her Dad never really was like a father to her
more like a friend because he suffered from drug addiction
so he never really grew up. My student questioned why God 
would have denied her a father in the first place then take
away the man who was her friend.
This got all the 15 year olds asking, "Yeah, Ms. Lillly?
why if God is so good would all these things happen that 
we don't understand?"
Finally, I explained what I believe to be true.
I told them that we know about coastal erosion and that 
we are loosing our wetlands, we believe that is true yet
most of us don't think about it or really understand what that
means. Yet if we get in a helicopter and see it from the
air all of a sudden it makes sense to us, we can see
the erosion. I told my class, God has the helicopter view
on the world. Things happen in the world and to us
it doesn't make sense, we can't understand how God could
allow these things to happen, but to  him up there, with
the helicopter view, it all makes sense.
I explained that things may happen to us in our 
little world and it could not even be about us.
It may happen to us because someone else
needs to see how we handle the situation which 
may change their life.
They understood this and some of my class explained
that it was the first explanation they could grasp and
understand.
So why do I share this story today?
Let this be the day you make amends and find peace.
Remember things may not make sense to you,
but to God with the helicopter view, he is waiting for 
your reaction to make the difference that could 
change the future.
LOVE TO ALL WHO I CALL FAMILY

4 comments:

  1. THIS IS JUST AWESOME!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!

    LOVE YA,
    TIFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to respond on God or Religion at this time fore my beliefs are much different than ya'lls. But it was a touchng story and Lilly I think you handled it very,very well.
    LUV-U
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your the bomb on this one Lil!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Lil! Love you!

    ReplyDelete