Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD


There is very little that Hillary Clinton ever did or said
that I admired... Except the one statement
she alway quoted:
IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD
If there was ever one of us that was
raised by this motto more than another it was Minta.
Now Minta and I are here to prove to all of you
a spoiled rotten child will not always grow up to 
be a irresponsible adult.
Minnie came into our family when Mone was
40 and Joe was 48.
I was 16 and was so excited to have another niece.
She was connected at all of our hips.
I often compare her to those stuffed monkeys with the
long arms and legs that velcro around your neck and waist.
You didn't have to hold her, she just hung on.
It didn't matter who you were as long as you were family
and willing to hold her, she clung to you.
If you put her down she cried until the next person picked her up.
She was so tiny we all loved wearing her around.
Joe could not tell this girl no, I don't think she heard the word
until her Dad died when she was 9.
I can't speak for anyone else but I remember when Joe died 
I felt so sorry for Minnie and made a conscious decision
to be special in her life and to help Mone in any way I could.
I think many of us did.
Was that a good thing? At the time we weren't sure but
just a year later when Mone found out she had cancer,
Minnie was already used to being with all of us.
So the Collins "village" all came up to the plate
to make sure that this girl of ours would be okay.
We took her everywhere, made sure she ate, went to school,
Mom mostly took care of Mone while we took turns taking 
care of Minta. Oh, and sometimes the girl could drive you crazy.
Many days after school she would come to my house and
many days she had conduct slips for talking or not 
staying in her desk, when I would question her about it 
she'd be saying she didn't know what was wrong with her teacher.
The girl HATED, HATED school,
how ironic she would be a teacher.
Once Mone was better, Minnie still expected us all to do for her
and I didn't mind... well sometimes I did mind.
Like when Mone would call to see if I could go pick her
up at South Lafourche, sometimes to myself I would
think, why doesn't that girl take the bus?
So I would stop what I was doing to drive to school 
and the minute I would see her with that big smile 
I would take back all the negative thoughts I had.
You see, that is how she won us all over, she was just so darn cute!!!
Then when she became a teenager, she loved hanging out at my
house. She and Roddie were 6 years apart and they both
loved horror movies. She would come over for one night to 
watch scary movies with Roddie and wouldn't leave.
I remember one summer I had to ask her if she was going to 
go home or should we go pack so she could move in.
At that time, however, I had grown to love her company.
It was a break from staying home with two rug rats all day.
She helped entertain my kids and many nights, I would go to 
bed and listen to she and Roddie talking about all kinds of things.
She was a good influence on him, he loved it when she would come sleep.
So, once again, time has played that trick on us and
the little spoiled girl is now about to have her own baby.
Because of our village, she has grown into this beautiful young
wife who is going to be a wonderful mother.
She asked me at Christmas time if she could name her 
baby daughter, Lillian,
"What? Are you Kidding me?"
What an honor that she and Duane would love my 
name enough to honor me with naming their
first born Lillian.
Yes, this child will be born into this village we call family
and with her wonderful parents, we will be
there to support them on their journey with
this baby girl.
It takes a village to raise a child 
I am so glad that I have been a part of this village.

5 comments:

  1. You are so right. My memories of Minta is playing dress up. I mean she was our live doll, and we dressed her up in all of Becky's 80's Madona clothes. Even with the colored hair and wild doos. Minta I hope you remember that we loved you them, and still love you know.
    I don't know about Rebecca, but I always thought of Minnie as a baby sister. I was sorry when they moved in their trailer across the street becaus she would not come sleep every night.
    I love you Minnie! Can;t wait to meet Baby Lillian.
    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love this girl!! I was so sorry I was sick and missed her shower!!! I wanted to go so badly but knew I couldn't risk infecting the mother to be!! You have always had a special place in my heart and I can't wait to meet baby Lillian!!!

    My memory was keeping her with me when Uncle Joe died and having to break the news to her that her father passed. I wanted to make sure she was okay.....amd my heart just broke for her!!

    You're right Lilly, it takes a village to raise a child.....and we are so fortunate to have our own little village, I am so proud to call, MY FAMILY!!!

    I LOVE YOU ALL,
    TIFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite family videos of all times, was when we were all together at Mom's trailer, Arthur and Bronson were just babies and Minta, and who else was it, that had a cheerleading contest?? That is one of the funniest because Minta was oh so very serious to win that contest!!! Minta, my favorite thing about you is your calmness; you remind me alot of your Dad in that way. No matter what comes your way, you're able to handle the situation in such a calm manner. I believe that is the trait that makes you perfect for the profession which you've chosen. You and Duane are going to be great parents and I am so proud of all of your accomplishments. Can't wait to meet Lillian!!!

    All my love to you and Duane,
    Aunt C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yea....My Godchild, I'm so proud of her and her accomplishments and even the man she choise to be her baby daddy!! My best story about when Minta was a baby is.... Me and Nannie(Mone)got both our kids on the floor changing their diapers, right next to each other. I guess Minta and Miki were about 6 to 8 months old. I look over at her, she looks over at me while were are simultaneously wiping butts and just busted out laughing. We both said "who would have ever thought that you and I would be changing the diapers of our infants together!!! My answer, not me NANNIE! Anyway, I can remember all the summers I used to go to Donaldsonville and spend time there. Guy was just a baby then. Shortly after Minta came along they moved down the bayou and I was living in Thibodaux. I wonder if Minta remembers the time I took her and Miki skating at the skating rink in Thibodaux and she tried to jump the BIG ditch in front of the skating rink and fell right in the mud and water. We laughed about that all the way back home. We had to go back to my house so she could change her clothes, which made us late bringing her home. I remember Joe meeting me at the door and he was upset cause we were late and Minnie had school the next day. Anyway, that was the good ole days!!!! Love you Minnie!!!
    Nannie/Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW PROUD OF OUR MINTA. THE THING I REMEMBER WAS WHEN MINTA WAS ABOUT 5 OR 6 JOE WAS SITTING ON HIS CHAIR (I CAN STILL SEE HIM THERE) MONE WAS SITTING ON HER CHAIR AND GUY WAS LYING ON THE SOFA. GUESS THEY WERE ALL WATCHING TV SO HERE COMES MINTA WITH A GALVANIZED PIPE. SHE HIT GUY ON THE HEAD 3 TIMES BEFORE MONE GOULD GET TO HER AND TAKE THE PIPE AWAY FROM HER. JOE DIDN'T MOVE AND MON SAID JOE DIDN'T YOU SEE WHAT MINTA DID TO GUY AND JOE'S RESPONCE WAS HE SHOULD HAVE GOTTON OUT OF THE WAY! BUT THEN GUY GOT REVENGE WHEN JOE ASKED MINTA IF SHE HAD TO POTTY AND SHE TOLD HIM NO. HE ASKED ABOUT 3 OR 4 TIMES AND THE ANSWER WAS ALWAYS THE SAME NO. HE PUT HER TO SIT ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER AND BEFORE HER BUTT TOUCHED TO COUNTER SHE PEED ALL OVER. WELL, NEEDLESS TO SAY, SHE GOT THE WIPPING OF A LIFE TIME. THAT IS THE FIRST TIME I SO JOE SO ANGRY. IT DOES TAKE A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD AND MINTA IS A PRODUCT OF THAT. WHEN MONE GOT SICK THE FIRST TIME MIN WAS OVER HERE AND WE ALL TOOK OUR TURNS WITH HER AND LOOK HOW SHE TURNED OUT GUYS!

    VERY PROUD OF YOU AND DUANE. YOU'LL WILL BE TERRIFFIC PARENTS

    LOVE TO YOU'LL AND BABY LILLIAN, CAN'T WAIT TIL SHE GETS HERE

    AUNT RONNIE

    ReplyDelete