Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

a sad story with an encouraging ending

Over the Easter holiday a best friend of one of our teachers
lost his one year old daughter to a tragic accident.
She drowned in the family plastic pond in their backyard.
Evidently she unlocked the sliding door and went outside.
Minutes later her Daddy couldn't find her and began searching
to find her sadly in the pond. He, being a first responder tried everything
to bring his little girl back yet it was not meant to be.
This is not the part of the story her Daddy wants people to remember.
It is her beautiful brown eyes that he wants to be the focus.
You see through his anquish, he did know he wanted to donate
as many of her organs as he could. The only ones that could be used were
skin tissue and the corneas of her beautiful brown eyes.
Yesterday he received an email that a child did receive those corneas and for
the first time in her life she was able to see, see a world that before was completely
black to her. 
He has asked that if ever we are faced with such a decision remember to consider
organ donation and know that his little girl will live on through the eyes of another.
Kiss your children and give them an extra one from Aunt Lil tonight.

4 comments:

  1. I will give them a kiss for you this morning before school! I love you!!
    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered when someone receives an organ from another person, if the recipient, somehow, can feel, or witness, something from the donors past or even present, being Heaven. On another note, if you look on the back of your driver's license, there is a "donor box" which can be checked, in case of a fatal accident, you can be an organ donor. Needless to say, my box is always checked because that is most definitely one of my "final" wishes; that my body be used for organ donations and/or scientific study. Perhaps they can, once and for all, figure me out!!

    My sincere condolescences to your friend and his family and a congratulations in their decision to give the most precious gift anyone can receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, but great story. I am an organ doner myself. I don't know what parts will still be usable after I get finished with them, cause I plan on using them up as far as I can. But, as they say, it's the thought that counts.
    Love,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy to hear of this ending to such tragedy--i know the mom.
    you are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete