Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

my first godchild

EMILY
Emily was my very first godchild and
I remember the day she was born.
I had been married for just 7 months and
really thought I would never have my own children.
Pete and Cheryl had never said anything about
who would be this child's godparents and I
never really imagined that they would ask me.
I was at work at Lady of the Sea 
when I received the phone call that a baby
girl had been born and I was so giddy.
I have always been close to all my nieces and nephews
but most of them came when I was still a child myself.
Em was the first I can remember being born as an adult.
When I got off of work I went straight to Ronnie's house,
it's where I always went when something major happened.
While there she and I called the hospital to talk to brother
and Cheryl and Cheryl was feeling so good I was able to talk to 
her and she asked me then if I would be Emily's nannie.
What are you joking? I started screaming and crying
and was so excited!!!!
(remember I was only 21 if this sounds a little immature...
so shoot me already! Yes I know I still act like that all the
time....)
I was so honored and Em was even to have my
middle name, Therese!
I have not always been able to be with her
through many things but I have
always treasured being her nannie and
took the role seriously.
Rod was born just one year later
so I found myself raising my own children
as she grew up.
A special place in my heart, she has always had.
On February 14th she became a married woman
to a most awesome man, Andre'.
As I sat up on that altar waiting to
read at her wedding, I took a good
long look at this beautiful young woman
and realized it seemed like just yesterday
that I was up on an altar 
baptizing her as my Godchild.
Again, I find myself wondering where the time went?
I hope she has always felt just how special
she was to me.
I LOVE THIS GIRL!


11 comments:

  1. oh nannie!!! as i sit at work at 6:27 in the morning, playing on the internet instead of working...i find myself crying tears of happiness...im so blessed and honored that you were the one that was chosen to be my nannie, and such great memories i have because of it...remember the summer that aleena and i went to spend the week at your house and couldnt stop playing the game life?! i have so many of those memories that i keep in a special place in my heart...i love you, always have, always will...tell everyone i said i love them too...see you at Rod's wedding

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA, EM, I REMEMBER LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY THE DAY NANNIE CAME TO MY HOUSE AND WE CALLED THE HOSPITAL. TALK ABOUT EXCITED!! OF COURSE, WE WERE ALL EXCITED WHEN YOU AND ALEENA WERE BORN. ALTHOUGH THERE WAS A DISTANCE SEPARATING US YOU'LL WERE ALWAYS IN OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYS AND STILL REMAIN THERE. IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU SO HAPPY ON YOUR WEDDING DAY. IT WAS ESPECIALLY NICE TO BE A PART OF IT.

    WITH MUCH LOVE TO YOU FROM YOUR BAYOU FAMILY!
    AUNT RONNIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I don't exactly remember that day, I do remember the few times we went to Lafayette to see you guys. Those were fun times. I remember going to Emily's first birthday party, and boy how excited Lil was to see her godchild. I am sorry that I missed the wedding, but hopefully we will all be together for Rod and Katie's wedding! We love you guys!!
    Love,
    Tie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me or...does Em and Lil actually look alike? They have the same smile, don't they? It's an awesome picture and Em, you were a very beautiful bride and ARE a very beautiful young woman!! I have to agree with my two sisters that although we lived miles and miles apart, you and Aleena continue to live in our hearts. I know Mommie is the one with Dimintia (spell check, please..hahaha NeNa), but I'm not far behind...I seem to live in the moment, ALWAYS, so what happened yesterday is in the past and unless someone joggles something in my memory to break through the cob webs....it's gone....oh well, that's just "Life With Vera"..hehehehe. Uncle Pat used to call me Vera because of the many "mishaps" that seem to find me...I miss him...

    All my love to you and Andre'!!
    Aunt Vera; I mean Aunt C

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD! "DIMINTIA" HAHAHAHA "WITHOUT SPELL CHECK! DEMENTIA!" EM JUST TO FILL YOU IN ON WHAT'S GOING ON HERE, I WAS LAUGHED AT MADE FUN OF FOR MISSPELLING A WORD. YOUR AUNT C AND NANNIE NEVER LET ME FORGET IT. NOW IS AUNT C'S TURN! RIGHT LIL? TELL HER I SPELLED IT RIGHT!

    ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY!
    NENA/RONNIE/AUNT RONNIE

    ReplyDelete
  6. you did spell dementia right, must have been one of those medical words you helped Tie study when she was in nursing school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LIL,
    I'M GOING TO TELL YOU A SECRET BUT YOU CAN'T TELL C! I WENT BACK TO YOUR BLOG ABOUT MOM AND SAW HOW YOU SPELLED IT (HEHE DON'T TELL C, OK)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes but that was done on purpose because that is what I call her, me mumsie....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya'll are all cheaters! Now I know what ya'll are all getting for christmas this year. FUNK & WAGNALS DICTIONARY! Getting back to Emily, yes my dear, you are a very beautiful woman, inside and outside. You know, I told a few people at the wedding that I think Andre' brought out a part of your insides that was hidden. I have been privileged enough to have spent more time with you and Aleena than probably the rest of my siblings. As you were growing up, I always ginda thought of you as being shy and quiet, but now, you are out there Girl!!!!! I truly believe he found some more inner beauty in you that he has helped you develop and unfold and expose to the world and I am so proud of you. So, thank you Andre' for finding a lil piece of Emily that may have been hidden that we are now all exposed to. I Love you and Aleena so much Em and I am so very proud of both of you and all your accomplishments in your lives, expecially the men you have chosen to be your life/sole mates.
    Simply Wonderful!!!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hay what about me. You know I Am her Father,Poppa. I did have a hand in all this.
    SHOOT, I'm gone.
    LUV-U-ALL, you to ETB.
    Peter/Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, you were their first male (unchosen) life/soul mate. I'm proud of the ones they chose. But, U right partly because they made the right choice.
    Luv U
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete