Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

baptism thoughts

You can call me a bad Catholic or an honest Catholic
but there is no way that I believe that my precious Jillian Grace,
had she died before baptism, would have found herself unable
to get into the gates of Heaven.
This innocent and most perfect child would not only have
been allowed but God would have been waiting for her with
open arms.
No way that God would hold against her, the original
sin that she had nothing to do with. I believe this
to be the "hogwash" of our faith.
Yet, I do believe in the tradition of baptism.
It is in these traditions that I continue to love my Catholic faith.
To be reminded by Katie's cousin, Father Jason
what a blessing a child is, a true miracle is what
us as a family needs to be reminded of now and through
each of the sacraments our little girl will make.
Of course, I cried. The words of baptism always
get me. To see my children, even though it means very little
to them right now, recite the baptismal rites reminds me
of when I did the very same thing at their own baptism.
I am all about traditions and for our little baby to
have her head covered with the holy water in the same place
that her own mother was baptized also touches me.

... and as usual, the Mother and father prayer always, always
makes me cry. It reminds these parents as well as all of
us who were there to watch just how lucky
both of them are but the actual hard job they will
be faced with by raising children who are good and responsible.
How they are praised for bringing a child into the world
just as God planned a marriage to do,
bring children into the world.
I dreamed of Baby boy the night before baptism. He was about
9 in the dream but he was just like he was at 9.
He was a sweet child, he was getting ready for school and was late
and was worried about being late but didn't leave without
giving his momma a kiss and a hug and saying he loved her.
It is what I thought about as I saw him holding his little
girl with his wife at his side.
The little boy he was, not the man who stands before me now.
It is what my heart sees each time I am with him.
I can be a Catholic without believing all that it teaches.
I can do this because my God knows that it is not a religion
that will get me to Him but the kind of person I am.
I believe the same for my children.
They are good people, wonderful people.
Yet I am so glad that although they do not believe in
the same things that their Catholic faith teach
that they want to go through with the sacraments as
baptism for their little ones.
I am reminded, once again how much I love my faith,
and also reminded, once again, just how fortunate we all
are to have our Jillian Grace to bless our lives.
That God chose this one to be ours, to love,
to teach all about Him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded how good my wife's cakes are fresh out of the oven. And Jesi's face has this "uhh I think we skipped a part" look. And is that Ernest T in the family picture? And without envoking the wrath of the non-apologetics, change the word "tradition" to "sacrament" at a minimum. And I think you're an honest Catholic which makes you a good Catholic with vocabulary issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete