Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

I wish I understood water



I wish I had understanding of this whole
Mississippi water rising stuff.
I don't and I won't pretend I do.
Last week when baby boy called to see
if we were paying attention to the news
I have to honestly say I didn't even know what
he was talking about.
I do know this,
that if something gets baby boy on the phone
to discuss news with his momma,
then I should probably pay attention.
Especially when he said,
"Momma, this is a serious"
Not much in BB's life makes him talk serious.
So since then I have been paying attention.
Still I can't pretend to know how all of this works.
I do know that I feel sad for those of the underlying
communities who are fearful of the spillways opening.
I understand that when this happens it puts small
and sometimes very poor communities in jeopardy.
Remember this is a blog about my feelings
not about how much I know which is didelety-squat about this.
I get that opening these spillways are what is needed to save
the big cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge and for the
lesser damage and I understand that there may be no other way.
Yet, I still feel for those who will be compromised for the
betterment of the big cities.
Almost like genocide.
Made me look that word up this morning:
THE DELIBERATE AND SYSTEMIC DESTRUCTION,
IN WHOLE OR IN PART, OF AN ETHNIC, RACIAL,
RELIGIOUS OR NATIONAL GROUP
Oooohhh that almost sounds right....
scary stuff when I really think about it but
I have enough knowledge to understand that
this is not something that is decided easily.
So I pray that this thing is not as bad as being predicted.
I hope that those poor people of the little bayous of
Morgan City, Boutte, Larose, all those small underlying towns
that, instead of enjoying a beautiful Saturday morning,
are packing their most prized possessions,
pictures, letters, things that are really important,
can understand the need to do this and can be forgiving.
It definitely makes me rethink the idea of the dream
of a lake house.

No comments:

Post a Comment