Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Breausky visit


I have been a little "under the weather"
so haven't posted much lately.
This week however, was a sleep over with
my Breausky. The name I choose to call the
miracle child that I have befriended since she
was a 3 year old entering my school 6 years ago.
She no longer comes to my school but she and I,
well we remain a part of each others lives.
This child came to me at TES at only 3 years
old having survived a childhood disability that no one
thought she could survive.
She came to me with a tube feeding in her nose
that required full time feedings.
she had a colostomy and needed daily catherizations
four times a day. Many at school were against her starting.
The meeting before her starting was filled with many fears
about whether or not she was stable enough to be in school.
Yet her mom, her advocate, fought for her and won.
I, at the meeting shared, that I was on her side.
From the very first time I read her case I had a bond to her.
Through her I was able to see my own childhood again
where the odds were against me and yet I trudged on.
Our bond has continued and over the last 6 years she
has gone from a little toddler who could do nothing of
her medical care to a 9 year old who now understands
and can take care of most of her medical needs.
When I am with her, I am with my childhood self and
we do lots of discussing about that.
Her life is complicated and yet she knows no other life.
She wants no sympathy as she keeps up with her twin brother
as they ride 4 wheelers, play ball.
She does whatever he does, sometimes even before her
brother can master the skill.
She is a miracle and she is my hero.
I am one of the few places she can sleep over as
her medical needs are those that must be fulfilled
by someone who is trained.
Every time she spends time here I learn something about
life and I learn something about myself.
(written with her mothers permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment