Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

LIVING IN THE DASH


Last year I went to a weekend retreat for Alanon.
The speaker for the weekend was awesome and she talked
often about living in the dash...
You are probably wondering,
"What in the world is the baby talking about now?"
Well friends and family I am here to tell you about
LIVING IN THE DASH
Think of a tombstone.
there is a date you are born
there is a date you die
between these two dates 
you will find the dash.
So what you do with the time you have here
on earth is what I refer to as living in the dash.
Make your life count,
How do I try and make my dash count, you ask?
1) Make amends and don't hold grudges.
2)Love as you want to be loved.
3) Don't judge others unless you walk a day in there shoes.
4) If you want people to remember you, you have to make a difference in their life.
5) Take responsibility for inappropriate behavior.
6) Try to remember that your way is not the only way.
7) Love with no strings attached.
8) continue to work on your relationship with your higher power, for me he is God.
Do I do this daily? Heck, no
Do I falter often, hell yes.
Am I aware when I fail? No doubt!!!
I make mistakes all the time but as I jokingly tell my kids:
What makes me perfect, is that when I am wrong I can admit it.
Now I know I am far from perfect but I do know that most 
days I am a better person than I was yesterday.

What made me post this blog today?
While walking early this morning and listening to my Ipod,
(yes, youngins, Aunt Lil owns an Ipod!!!)
I heard a song by Randy Travis
the lyrics reminded me:
Its not what you take when you leave this world behind you
it's what you leave behind  you when you are gone.
I want to live in the dash and leave a legacy behind.
I want to know when that final date is added to my tombstone
some future generation will be blogging or
if Peter is right, time-traveling to meet me
because I have made a difference while
LIVING IN THE DASH
love to all!!!!


8 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like this blog Lilly. I don't think I live it. In my dash at my age, I'm just trying to survive. I just hope I can get to Heaven before they close the doors. (That's a quote from a Bob Dylan song.)
    But I think this is a good place to blog my next "Frig.Note." It goes like this:

    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. -By Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Cool huh?? Keep up the great blogging. This one was real good.

    Later,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Pete!
    Hey do you recognize that tombstone?
    It's from the smallest church on the way to Fourchon
    One day I went down there to take pictures.
    If you haven't been to that lil church in a while, you really need to go, the inside is spectacular, I'll try and email you my other pics from that day.
    I believe the little boy's tombstone was Noonie's son....

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA, LIL, THAT WAS NOONIE'S SON. I REMEMBER HE WAS IN A FIGHT AND HE EITHER GOT SHOT OR STABBED. I DO BELIEVE HE WAS STABBED. JUST 16 YEARS OLD! THAT LITTLE CHURCH WAS BUILT IN HIS MEMORY BY NOONIE AND HER HUSBAND. I THOUGHT IT WAS DAMAGED IN ONE OF THE HURRICANES. GUESS IT WAS FIX.

    DO YOU REMEMBER HIM PETE? HE WAS ABOUT YOUR AGE. WALLACE SMITH, LARRY'S FRIEND, WAS HIS OLDEST BROTHER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little, ok a lot, confused on this one, but it's okay..it's okay!!! Lil, I love the new pics you posted. Can't wait until next week because I'm sure that you'll be posting pics of the upcoming wedding celebration...only 5 days away!!!

    Love y'all,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, ya'll are right, that is Noonie's son. But, I thought he got killed in a plane crash. That's what I was told anyway. Love the Blog Lil and Love you all too!!!!!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I do remember Noonie's son. He and I were pretty close friends. But unfortunately I can't remember his name. I don't know why. But I do remember him. And I also remember that he was stabbed in a fight that took his life.

    However, I don't know about the church ya'll are speaking of. Next time I go "Down The Baya" maybe you could take me there.

    By the way what ever happened to Noonie and her husband ?? Wasn't there last name Plaisance??? I think it was.

    P.S. I know the name on the thombstone says Abraham but I don't think that's the name he went by.

    Later,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. the church is on the bayouside on the way to leeville...
    right across hgwy one from Noonies' old store, Noonies...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ABRAHAM WAS HIS NAME BUT HE WENT BY ANOTHER NAME AND I BELIEVE IT WAS ALAN. LAST NAME WAS NOT PLAISANCE BUT IT WAS SMITH. REMEMBER WALLACE AND JACKIE SMITH. I DO BELIEVE THIS WAS YOUR FRIEND YOU TALKED ABOUT. WHEN YOU'LL COME DOWN NEXT TIME WE CAN ALL MAKE THE TRIP. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT IN YEARS IN FACT I VISITED IT YEARS AGO WHEN THEY HAD A TRIBUTE TO ALAN (THINK THAT WAS HIS NICKNAME)
    RONNIE

    ReplyDelete