Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

LIBRARIES AND MY LOVE FOR READING

If you are wondering why these pictures exist here, it's because they live at my library!


For about 6 months, I was obsessed with
wanting a Kindle II.
You know those new computer books
that Amazon sells,
It is the size of a book as flat as a pancake,
you can download books wherever you are
in seconds and read to your hearts content.
Jesi and I drooled over this contraption for
months because we both like to read and
how awesome this would be to just drop it
in your pure and no matter where you are you
could choose a book, download it and read.
I am not one to just go out and buy things
I don't need unless I have the cash or
I save for it.
So I began budgeting my spending money
so that in a few months I could purchase this
baby, Kindle.
Just when I almost had my 300 bucks saved
I walked into my local library for some
free reading material.
I smelled one of my favorite smells,
the aroma of old books.
I stopped and chatted with the girls
who work at my library, caught up on
their and my lives while whispering, of course.
(It is a library, you must be quiet)
I preceded into the aisles of my favorite books
The new releases, the true crime,
the biographies.
I began reading the inner covers of some that
interested me and getting excited about the
story that laid in my hands.
I remembered our local library as a child,
it was close enough to walk to in Golden Meadow and
Lord knows I went there often in the summer when
it was safe for little girls to walk the street of Golden Meadow.
I remember Mrs. Bessie with her beehive hairdo who
always knew our favorite types of books and
lead me in the right direction.
I was an avid reader who joined the summer
reading program each summer and usually
won the award for the most books read.
I would walk back home with 10 books
(that was the limit back then)
Knowing that in my arms I carried
the world that I would never know except in books.
Far off places, lives of others,
fables to live by...
Oh the good memories I have.
Then when Roddie and Jesi came along
I turned them on to the libraries of their childhood
at early ages.
We were not rich and it was a free place for us to
hang out and get some quality time in.
We would go to story hour and I would sit on the
floor with one of my rugrats in my lap.
I could smell their hair as they listened intently
to the reader or the actor perform
their favorite books.
They always joined the summer reading club
and they too were often the winner of the
MOST BOOKS READ
group.
As I remembered all of this I realized
that if all the world got Kindles
what would happen to all these
buildings, people, and books
that we call our local library.
Would a part of the world that is still
free fade away?
What would happen to opening up a book
and having the scent of it
waft through your nose.
Oh, no I cannot be a participant in this.
I and all of us must support our local
libraries. Take your children, take yourself,
go often.
There are DVD's now and oh so much more
all still free!!!
So no Kindle for old Aunt LIl,
no, no, no!
For me, I will continue to use
my little library and always have a ton
of books at my house with return dates on them.
What did I do with the money I save?
...Well, bought Cricut cartridges, of course!

6 comments:

  1. Lil........... you blogged about books and you give us ducks? What's up with that? Although isn't one part of the family? You know it took me a week to read a 285 book from Hugh.. and 63 minutes to read your blog! My mind tends to wonder off when I read ... for example, the pictures of the ducks brought me back to my old duck blind ... it's hard for me to stay in your library with the old bee hive lady when the door is open for some ducks hence 63 minutes. Thanks for the read ... now I just have to jump pages to get my morning with Steve then you can say we had coffee together with Steve on your counter ...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S IT!!!! I QUIT!!!! I'M NEVER FREAKING BLOGGING AGAIN....I MEAN IT....I'M DONE WITH THIS...I REALLY AM....I JUST SPENT FREAKING 1/2 HOUR TYPING SHIT AND THEN WHEN I COME TO POST I GET THIS BULLSHIT MESSAGE ABOUT FREAKING COOKIES...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THOSE WORDS DOWN AGAIN. I'M DONE...FOR REAL!!!

    PISSED OFF C

    ReplyDelete
  3. C, seems like you aren't the only one giving up on my blog :^(
    only Mikie and I seem to be hooked but I will continue on for the legacy and my girlfriend, Mikie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not giving up your blog, I'm just not spending a freaking damn 1/2 typing shit that gets lost in 1 second...Freaking pisses me off, Man!!! Now, I'll comment on today's blog!!!

    Still mad about yesterday, shit!!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean C. I'm sneaking half the time. Closing down whenever someone walks by my computer like a first grader hiding candy in their desk to sneak one every now and then, and you go to post it and POOF!!!! GONE!!! How can you get those words back??? Ya can't, you can try, but you can't. I'm not giving up on your blogs either, but I am now limited to Mondays and Fridays, cause I'm in Thibodaux basically alone most of the day. I Loved to take Miki to that liabrary when he was a kid too. Did you know that the old stairs that go upstairs are the same beams that Pat & I put up as beams in our kitchen when we were remodeling the house at Lafourche Crossing. They tore down a part of that building when they were reconstructing the library and Pat & I ended up (won't tell you how!) with 6 of those hugh steps. Notice, Lil the next time you go upstairs how hugh those steps are and try to remember the ceilings in the kitchen that we had remodeled. They may look familiar to you. They did't have ducks there then, and the entrance was on the opposite side of the building. Anyway, hopefully this will post and I'll go to the next one. I had to come back and read this one first as C suggested. LOL

    ReplyDelete