Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Steve Griffin sits on my windowsill




You can never tell who and when people will think of you.
As for the Riera clan, we thought of Steve Griffin on our
vacation to North Carolina and I now see and think of him
every morning when I awaken to fix my coffee.
Why?
Because Steve G. sits on my windowsill.

The story is:
It is very hard to vacation with a grown family,
It makes it even more complicated when
the family is ours.
Ronnie decides he is going to treat all of us to a
vacation to NC to visit the only Riera family he knows.
His Uncle John and Aunt Donna graciously offered
their home to Ronnie and I,
Roddie and Katie,
and Jesi and Chase.
Now remember this group consists of
three men, two who do not like to shop,
While the three girls live for it.
There is this awesome gift shop right in front
of Aunt Donna's and Uncle John's street called
Ken's lamp shop.
As we prepare to visit this store
I remind all the boys that I will buy a souvenir,
I will look at everything in the store
and it will take me some time.
The girls are happy,
the boys.... not so much.
We enter and I automatically separate myself
from the group.
I am on a mission, a mission to find the perfect
gift for myself.
This is not always an easy feat.
Everything I purchase has to mean something to me.
It has to remind me of the place I have been,
the people I have seen, I have to feel something
when I look at this treasure.
So I am searching, the boys are pacing.
I come to this shelf that says,
"75% off"
Now you know Aunt Lil loves a bargain,
and I love miniatures and the shelf is
full of little gnome-like people
and I just know that I will have to choose one.
I walk away to view something else
and Roddie wants to know if I have found it yet?
NO, RODDIE I AM NOT READY TO GO!
He walks over to the 75% off shelf
puts something into his hand and says
he has found it, I have to buy the one in his hand.
I believe he is just telling me this to rush me and
I am just a little perturbed because I
believe I warned these boys.
He calls his Daddy over to view what he believes
must be my purchase.
Next thing I know, Ronnie, Roddie, Jesi, and Katie
are hovering over the item in Roddie's hand.
Now my interest is sparked.
I walk over and Rod introduces me to the find
saying,
"This thing looks just like Steve Griffin"
Then Ronnie has to put on his glasses
and take a good look,
they both start laughing and insisting
that it does indeed look like Steve.
Jesi is like, "Steve Griffin, who in the h**%
is Steve Griffin?!"
I remind her,
"Jesi you know, Steve Griffin, our old neighbor
who used to live in Gavin's house who used
to shoot armadillos in his back yard
with a shot gun."
"Oh, that Steve Griffin"
They lay him down and walk away,
Ronnie and Roddie still laughing at their antics.
However, I now have to walk over and really
look at this little gnome.
Yes, it does remind me also of Steve.
I remember when we first moved to 89th street
and he was indeed our neighbor
and he did indeed scare the
ever-living beejesus out of me when he decided
to shoot his gun at 10:00 at night to kill an
armadillo that was digging up his lawn.
So how could I leave Steve G.
over there at Ken's lamp shop
in North Carolina all alone never to be loved
by anyone who knows him
Yep, you guessed it I brought
Steve G. to our home to forever live with the Riera's
That is the story of why Steve Griffin
sits on my kitchen windowsill and why
our whole family sees him each and every time
we walk to our sink.
Yes, it is random but a day does not go by
that I do not think of Steve Griffin.
So, Steve, if your ears are ringing every morning at
about 5:00 am it's probably because one of
us Riera's are thinking or talking to you.

3 comments:

  1. Steve wants you to blog about Ronnie cutting the grass at 4 o clock in the morning by the window .... he says that's just as loud as his double barrel in the backyard. This was probably the best laugh I had in a while. What so amazing is it the resemblence is amazing and the IT'S TO SCALE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the resemblence is striking and the scale is perfect,
    Sometime I just think he will stand right up and pull out a shotgun!
    We do love our little gnome!!!!
    Now I may know why Steve had to move down the other street, probably couldn't hear the mower from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete