Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A walk in the neighborhood

Yesterday, after a long day of unpacking boxes,
making a house a home,
polishing way too many miniatures and placing
them in the china cabinet where they live,
I decided to take the pups for a walk.
I leashed up ol' Trixie and Jake and
started on the sidewalk.
It was almost dark so the first thing I noticed
about the new neighborhood was 
street lights that glow, none burnt out.
Just enough to give the neighborhood
a "Norman Rockwell" glow.
No wires to stop the view of the beautiful sky.
Jake was loving running on the sidewalks,
those with no cracks on them, all 
even and matching.
It was quiet, quiet enough to hear all the frogs
in the pond and the horn of a train as it passed
the tracts of Plaquemine.
The first time I heard the sounds of the train horn,
I thought, "Oh this will take some getting used to"
but it hasn't. It actually has become charming to this little
city life. As the sun went down, I felt safe to walk the 
sidewalks. Neighbors were putting out their trash cans
and all were willing to say hello or good evening.
One family, the grandmother, her two children
who had ridden her grandchild up the street in 
a red wagon to see her grandmother,
was good for a 10 minute conversation.
This neighborhood will be a great place
to get old in. It's a good, good life...

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that y'all are enjoying the new house. I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of it and that I have met two of the nicest people that are not only my clients but have become my friends. Thank y'all for letting me help find y'alls dream home. Vickielou

    ReplyDelete