Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

DARING GREATLY


On to another book that already I know is going to
be one I preach about and from, 
one that Oprah loves so you know I am going 
to love it. 
DARING GREATLY BY BRENE' BROWN
Yesterday on Oprah's Soul series on OWN channel,
this is read and I am hooked.
If you are a Mother, or maybe even a father,
If you have loved and nurtured a child,
this is going to make you tear, maybe even cry.
As the author tried to read it to Oprah,
Oprah cried and so did Ms. Brown.
THE WHOLEHEARTED PARENTING MANIFESTO:
Above all else, I want you to know that you are 
loved and lovable.
You will learn this from my words and actions-the
lessons on love are in how I treat you and how
I treat myself.
I want you to engage in the world from a place of worthiness.
You will learn that you are worthy of love,
belonging, and joy every time you see me
practice self-compassion and embrace my own imperfections.
We will practice courage in our family by showing up,
letting ourselves be seen, and honoring vulnerability.
We will share our stories of struggle and strength.
There will always be room in our home for both.
We will teach you compassion by practicing compassion
with ourselves first; then with each other. 
We will set and respect boundaries; we will honor hard work,
hope and perseverance. Rest and play will be family values, 
as well family practices.
You will learn accountability and respect by watching me
make mistakes and make amends, and by watching
how I ask for what I need and talk about how I feel.
I want you to know joy, so together we will practice gratitude.
I want you to feel joy, so together we will 
learn how to be vulnerable.
When uncertainty and scarcity visit, you will be able to 
draw from the spirit that is part of our everyday life.
Together we will cry and face fear and grief. I will
want to take away your pain, but instead I will sit with you
and teach you how to feel it.
We will laugh and sing and dance and create. We will
always have permission to be ourselves with each other.
No matter what, you will always belong here.
As you begin you Wholehearted journey, the greatest 
gift that I can give to you is to live and love with my 
whole heart and to dare greatly.
I will not teach or love or show you anything perfectly,
but I will let you see me, and I will always hold
sacred the gift of seeing you.
Truly, deeply, seeing you.
Okay, can you see why this book is going to be the
bomb-diggity?
I mean is this not what each of us wish we had
written to and for our children?
This should be the family motto for each American family.
Thank you, Brene' Brown for writing this book.
I just started and already cannot put it down!


No comments:

Post a Comment