Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Random acts of kindness


This morning I awaken in my own bed knowing there is no need
to rush out to get to Thibodaux, 
This is a day I get to stay home and rest while my awesome
other siblings carry the torch for a few days.
It's an odd thing when you are told that your parent, your mother is dying.
You need a break from the news, the caregiving, 
you long for just one night of uninterrupted sleep but
the night/day you get it, you miss not being there as you know your
time with your Mommy is limited.
Today, KD is on call so I am going to have Bean for a few hours.
I am pumped about that. It is why when I got home last night
at 5:30 I went straight to bed and slept until now.
It's gunna be a good day.
Today I want to talk about Random Acts of Kindness, RAK.
I know we are surrounded by them every day and I know I have
given some in my lifetime, but when you have an ill family  member
you notice them more. Each one, because of my vulnerable state
overwhelms me inside, chokes me up, makes me want to cry
with love and gratitude for these people who take the time
to remember us, do for us in our time of need.
I am going on a limb to mention a few and pray I hurt no one
if I leave their caring out, none of these acts go unnoticed, today
I speak of a few of many, many, all that are appreciated.
Yesterday as I drink my coffee, one of my dear friends, Patricia and 
her littlest daughter, Emily stop by on their way to school.
They stop to give me hugs and kisses and tell me they love me.
They also give me a copy of this wonderful book above.
 Elise, Patricia's other daughter posted a reading from
this book on her Instagram Wall.
I posted that I thought I would love this book especially now.
that this looks like a book I would love.
Without saying a word, the Degruise family went out and purchased 
me my very own copy. They also each wrote a love letter inside,
just as I have always told them you should do when giving a gift
of a book. They are all so important to me and this act had me
overwhelmed with love for them all.
However, this is just one of many RAK.
There was the visit from Claire a nurse at Thib. regional who is also
a family friend from way back who took the time
to not only come and visit us and my Mom in ICU
but also listened to my story of our home health issues
and suggested we look into St. Joseph Hospice.
This suggestion led us to the most caring people who
are there to assure our mother can and will make the
transition from this world to the next without pain or suffering.
This small act made me choke up when Claire hugged me
and gave me her card and number to call for anything.
There was the eye doctor yesterday afternoon,
who was getting ready to leave for the weekend who 
agreed to pick up her purse and put her lab coat back on
to give me an eye exam that was overdue so I could get 
new contacts. I had my last pair in, needed more for tomorrow
and could not get any because I was overdue for seeing the doctor.
After the assistant explained my dilemma she saw me and I could
not thank her enough. She said,
"I would hope someone would do this for me if my Mother
were dying." Another cry session.
There are the random visits and texts from so many friends
and family members, all reaching out to help in any way, to
visit, sit do whatever we may need.
There was the text from my dear, Celeste, offering
to bring spaghetti her hubby had cooked to the ICU
waiting room so I could eat. I turned down her offer
because there were about 20 of us that night to see Mom
but the thought of me in our time of need, touched me deeply.
So many things, so many people, so many random acts of kindness.
None go unnoticed and I thank you all, each one of you
for it all.
I will end with yet another RAK,
I awaken this morning to drink coffee in my home
and as I check facebook I see a private message from another 
dear friend, Crystal and this beautiful poem brings me 
back to a tearful morning overflowing with love for all
my friends and family:

LETTER FROM A MOTHER TO A DAUGHTER:
"My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through.
If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same st
ory night after night until you would fall asleep.
When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl?
When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through.
If I occasionally lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you.
And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked.
When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love.
I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter."
This says it all, again, thanks to each and every one of you
who have thought, prayed, did for any and all of us in our
time of need. None are overlooked or not appreciated.
Love to all from myself and my siblings and of course,
my beautiful Mommy.

1 comment:

  1. Praying, praying, praying for Mommie and all of you!!! Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete