Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mumsie's birthday gift


Before I can even begin to untangle and try
to explain what all has happened since I have
been in Houston,
I have to tell the story of Mumsie's birthday gift.
For those of you who do not know the story behind
Mumsie's 89th birthday gift,
Well to put it simply instead of gifts
C came up with the idea and Mumsie thought
it was great that instead of giving her gifts
a donation should be made to this teaching/cancer
hospital that I have been at for the last few days.
The donation was a whopping 250 dollars!
So I decide that the best person to give this gift
to was the social worker Ron and I met with first.
After an hour of her just telling me what she has read about me,
studied all the paperwork I returned to her,
listening to my fears and Ronnie's concerns,
I decide that she will be the one to make sure
this donation gets where it needs to go.
So I kind of tell her what decision our family and Mumsie
had made and hand her the card I made to house the check.
She is looking at me and I think she wants to cry.
She says "I am speechless"
So I begin to tell her our family's story of
how way back when in 1968 I was the baby
of a big family born to parents who were in
their mid 40's who were struggling already.
I explain that there is 23 years between the oldest child
and myself and some of my siblings had already married
and were having their own children.
That when given my diagnosis they didn't know what to do,
where to turn and this doctor, who we all knew as Dr. Fisherman
told them that he didn't think he could save me
but he was going to try his hardest and if
they signed me over to him, he would never send them a bill.
I can only imagine what this was like for my parents
yet they trusted, made the signature
and because of this leap of faith, I am alive.
This doctor was true to his word never billed my parents.
This man followed me throughout my life,
even wrote the letter of recommendation for me to
enter nursing school.
I explain to her that the very least my Mother, her children,
and her extended family who all made donations can
do is to give back to a facility that helps people like me
and their families like ours.
She was so touched by the whole thing.
When I said I need to write a book, she agreed that I should.
She then gets our address and Mumsie's full name and
promises me that this money will get used in
a way that honors all of our lives that we have lived.
she ends with such a good statement:
"THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS JOB, TO COME TO WORK
ON ANY ORDINARY MONDAY AND HEAR THIS
EXTRAORDINARY STORY OF A FAMILY,
IT IS WHY I DO THIS JOB"
So thanks to all of you who have made a
contribution to the wonderful teaching hospital.
Thank you for allowing me to be the one to hand deliver
the extraordinary gift and story...
and most importantly thanks for all the love
and support you have all given me over the years.
There were a very few rocky years for a little while
but I do understand that even that was about
the fierce love and overprotection you guys
all feel for me.
Love to all!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I got the gros cur ... (but only briefly) So come to find out you're not even a tante??? You're a Fisherman! I bet you still give gifts to the Fishermans for Christmas! The heck with the Collins family (getting gros cur again). Although I find it amusing how fast he gave you back once he met Ronald! (the true GM story of Lil) ... Did the paper's ever get reversed (they do it with horses and dogs all the time) .. If not we'll have to hurry up and make some papers on you (can't have you being a mutt)

    (gros cur is gone again)

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually after I went to nursing school, I got a wedding present and then that was it, Found out later old Dr. Fisherman had died.
    Years later I was in the hospital with some weird symptoms that Dr. George thougt was my appendix,
    Mom made a call to the only Dr. Fisherman she could find to find out if my appendix had been removed.
    She spoke with the old Docs. son who said there were no records of way back when. He said he felt like he knew me though when Mom asked how he said because the whole time he was growing up his daddy spoke of me in their home.
    Wish he was still alive, he could answer lots of questions for me now!

    ReplyDelete