Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My daddy, the photographer

Daddy was well known as one of the only photographers
on the bayou for a long, long time.
I have always been impressed with the clearness
and the way he could capture a moment
while standing behind a lens.
Like this one of his wife on Grand Isle beach.
What did he think of as he viewed the mother
of his children?
I believe he used to take Santa Clause pictures
in his studio and always posed his own children
right up on Santa's lap.
Who is Santa you ask?
None other than Minta Collins.
The support Daddy got from Mom in anything he ever did,
Well, we all have something to learn there don't we?
The clearness of his photos,
the story he told was pure talent.
this was before digital and automatic settings.
This was at a time when everything had to be hand set.
This was taken long before I was born yet I
see the story taking place just like I would have sat
there myself saying good-bye to my big sister
as she pretended to leave for school.
I love the way he sometimes over-exposed his pictures to get
this look,
Like it is one of my favorite techniques he used.
He was way ahead of his times.
It breaks my heart that after he was forced to retire
he never put a camera in his hand again.
He was so bitter about it and that makes
me sad because how many stories did we miss
how many memories in his mind
never got put down for history sake?
Even a simple act as his child swimming in a tub,
probably taken on a whim without a studio
comes out to be a story, a fantastic
clarity of what was important in his life.
Dad was not a big talker of feelings or
what was important.
By the time I came along and got older,
he was so sick and miserable,
I didn't get to see much of what the older kids saw.
However, when I look at his life through his
lens I know what was important to him.
His wife, his home, his family
especially his children.
That is what made the man he was.
How precious these glimpses of the past
are to me.

2 comments:

  1. Lil, I to have fond memories of Poppie. I love the old pictures he took, and like you I can see the wonderful stories. My memories of him are of sitting in his chair looking out the window cursing at the cars driving so fast in the lane. I remember sitting on his lap and looking out that window with him. He would tell me stories about the big red building across on the bayou side. He would tell me how he had a record shop, studio, and how he loved to build things with toothpicks. I wish I could hear those stories again. I remember some of them and tell my girls in hopes that his memory stays alive. Reading your blog about him makes me cry because I remember one thing he would always say to you, Tif, me, and Becky; and I know everyone will remember it!

    Poppie would ask us to do something his words would be: WHEN YOU GROW UP -- I WILL DANCE WITH YOU AT YOUR WEDDING! I am not sure of anyone else, but the tears as I walked down the isle when I got married were with some sadness. I could hear those words he spoke clear as day, but I know that one day he will dance with me in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized back in the day they matched school bags with the pants .... LOVE THE PLAID VERONICA! My question is why wasn't Mone or Larry going to school too? You even had Plaid decorating the cake .... but I can't seem to find any plaid with you in the #3 tub in your draws ... and to answer the question Lil poses for the first picture ... I'd say by the number of kids in the family I know what he was thinking .....

    ReplyDelete