Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

TIME TO SHARE MY NEW ADVENTURE








Well, it's time to put it out there.
If this blog will be a lil bit of my world
then I need to share a lil bit honesty when it
comes to Ron and I's trip we are about to take
to Nashville Tennessee.
Most of my family has heard bits and pieces of this story
but it is now time for me to explain my reasons
for this adventure.
I will be going to Monroe Carell, Jr.
Children's Hospital to take part in a program called
REACH FOR SURVIVORSHIP PROGRAM.
(you can google it if you are interested in exactly what they do there)
Here I will be involved in testing and studies
to help other adult survivors of childhood cancers.
They have been reviewing all my records
from many years and doctors and will
devise a plan of action to be followed by
my local doctors here.
I am hopeful that I can help others and even
more hopeful that they will be able to answer
some of the questions I have about my own health.
For many years I have had weird medical issues
that either doctors are puzzled by, can't help me with,
or want to treat in a way that has helped others but
not one of these doctors have had any history
with childhood cancer survivors especially like
myself who received chemotherapy and
radiation in the late 60's and early 70's.
Here in the REACH program I will meet with
a team of doctors who do only this,
work with adults who have survived the battle
to find themselves with many medical issues.
To say that I am hopeful and optimistic is one part,
to say that I am scared and nervous about the whole trip,
well I am that also.
However, in no way do I expect or want sympathy.
I have no bitterness when it comes to the
fact that today I am alive because of the
wonderful treatment and doctors that
took my case and made it their own.
Frustrated sometimes, yes but never bitter.
I have this wonderful life that I want to live in one way
but my body sometimes won't allow me to do it.
This causes my frustration.
I know and am grateful of just how lucky I have been.
To have had 41 years of remission
and to have two beautiful children, well
I understand none of this was promised,
it has been "icing on the cake".
However I do also have to come to the
realization that the very same treatment that
has saved my life is the very cause of the
problems I face today and in my future.
To be able to take part in a study that
will help myself and others after me gives
me wonderful hope.
Someone there will have seen similar cases like mine
and be able to give me answers to the future
I face.
To have someone be able to acknowledge that
these problems do exist and they know why
will be enough to get me where I need to be
to continue on this road less traveled.
So the very supportive hubby and I
leave on Saturday and will watch the
Saints beat the Dallas Cowboys in our hotel room.
We will see the sights on the Sunday
and the Monday my adventure will start.
We should be back by the 23rd just
in time to finish up our Christmas plans with the
family I love so much.
So pray for me and my hubby that we have a safe trip.
That I am a brave Aunt Lil and that
here I will not be the unusual one but
the one they see each and every day.
I will keep all of you posted as I find
out new things about myself for isn't this what I call my blog?
LILBITOFMYWORLD


8 comments:

  1. YOU MUST DO WHAT YOU MUST DO. ALL OF US, ALL ALONG, KNEW YOU WERE NOT FEELING WELL BUT HERE LATELY IT HAS BECOME WORSE. GO THE NASHVILLE, SEE ALL YOUR DOCTORS, RUN ALL THEIR TESTS, AND LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY BUT MOST OF ALL DO WHAT IS RECOMMENDED TO HELP YOU FEEL AS WELL AS YOU CAN. I HOPE NOT BUT IF SURGERY IS RECOMMENDED AS MANY AS US THAT CAN WILL BE THERE. I FOR ONE WILL BE THERE FOR YOU AND FOR YOU AFTER WHENEVER I AM NEEDED. MY PRAYS WILL BE THAT THEY RELIEVE YOU FROM MOST OF YOUR PAIN AND CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE AGAIN. IF THIS IS NOT IN GOD'S PLANS FOR YOU THEN I WILL PRAY THAT HE WILL GET YOU TO WHERE HE WANTS YOU TO BE!

    GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU AND KNOW THAT YOUR BAYOU FAMILY WILL BE READY AND WILLING TO DO OUR PART!

    L U
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's time to put it out there --- YOU, hold anything back??? noooooooooooo!

    I am scared and nervous about the whole trip,
    well I am that also.... well I guess so!! look who's driving!

    However, in no way do I expect or want sympathy --- wasn't getting it anyway....
    and to have two beautiful children --- that is debateable -- one has no hair!
    very supportive hubby --- dude better pay back that debt ...
    Saints beat the Dallas Cowboys --NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!
    family I love so much -- I enjoy testing that postulate.
    pray for me and my hubby --- they've been doing that since the station wagon with the matress drove up at Freddie's front door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Lilly, I can say DITTO to everything that has been said above and then some. I hope you find what we are all wishing and hoping you will find on this trip. God knows you of all people deserves that and more.----- Keep this in mind,"A little bit of your world is a very BIG part of ALL of our worlds." Good luck and keep us informed, please.

    ----- Oh, by the way Lilly on a personal note about our Xmas gifts. Cheryl and I, Andre' and Emily and Mike and Aleena all very much liked and apprceiate the gifts you gave us, but I do think you should be ashamed of yourself. WHY, you ask? You got nothing for Steve. And you are the main reason he is around. Shame on you. I quess Mike and Aleena will just have to share with him. Boy, some people. (LOL)

    ---- Good luck on ya'lls trip and Ronnie I know you won't be good but at least TRY.

    --- LUN-U-BOAT,
    ----- Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miki, after 4 nights in that motel room, she may not need to see the doctors to get rid of the back pain, Uncle ronnie,s physical therapy treatment are short and sweet, but does wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm, Uncle Ronnie's physical therapy sessions haven't helped yet however it has been a while....and they are very short.... maybe we'll have to give it another shot.(no pun intended here)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can fool the rest of the world but I knew it was just another hanky panky romp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lil, I Love you lots and my, Miki and Cameron's thoughts, prayers and hearts are with you and Ronnie. As I am sure you know, we are all here for you, no matter what you need, want or have to have. Just remember, Cameron has already made her decision (with a very heavy heart, as you know) that her kidney belongs to you if need be!! LOL. GOTTA LOVE THAT KID. She said to tell you HI, SHE LOVE YOU AND HOPES TO SEE YOU OVER THE HOLIDAYS, WHEN YOU GET BACK.
    LOVE YA LOTS,
    HA SISTA ROSIE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure will be praying!!! I do love you guys very much!!! Be safe and have a wonderful Christmas!!!
    we will be at my house this year if anyone wants to stop in! 151 east 152 st galliano is where we will be!

    ReplyDelete