Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fishing trip





I love fishing.
It stems from being a little girl and going
fishing with my Daddy.
My Daddy fished most every day when I was little.
Living right behind the Golden Meadow boat dump
made it convenient for my Daddy.
I was telling baby boy today that
I wish he had been able to make trips
fishing with my Daddy in the days
that you left before dawn and came back
at the end of the day not just with a few fish
but ice chests full of fish.
Those days are gone, most days you are lucky to
catch your limit.
A morning fishing with my Daddy began the night before.
First he decided which one of us kids were going to
go with him. He rarely brought all of us together.
Probably because we made too much noise and
would scare the fish away.
Sometimes we begged to be the one he chose but he
was a pretty fair Daddy remembering who went
the last time and rotating us through.
You knew if you were the "chosen one"
you had to go to bed early that night.
He would not put up with morning whining about
being too early , he would just leave you sleeping.
I really do believe he preferred not bringing us
but he never said it.
I always put my clothes out the night before
because if you got up and got dressed early enough
you could make the walk with him to Dufrene's bakery
to pick out your own cookies.
Every fishing trip with my Dad began with a trip to
Dufrene's bakery and cookies.
You got to have your loot in your own bag.
Part of your purchase was for breakfast
the other was for after lunch.
There was no coming home if the fish weren't biting.
You stayed until you found the perfect spot
or until you filled the ice chests whatever came first.
I wish I could remember what we talked about
on those trips. I wish I remembered more
conversations I ever had with this man I loved and adored.
The feeling I had being with him however is embedded
in my heart.
One of the things I am most proud of HOBL and I for
was that we had a boat and brought our babies fishing often
when the were young.
Fishing with HOBL was much different from fishing
with my Daddy but it was fishing all the same.
Now, because of that, our Baby boy loves fishing
and everything that screams outdoors.
Tomorrow he and I and baby girl and maybe KD
are going on our first fishing trip of the summer season.
He and I love the water and he knows
when I am his date there will be no talk of
coming home early or fussing because there is no fish.
We both enjoy being on the water and just that is enough
for the both of us.
Lake Buff, here we come.
I love time spent with my babies.

5 comments:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beouf.... Lake Beouf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cherish the memories I have of fishing as a child and I wish I could have given that to my child...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right BFOB... it is Beouf... or maybe Boeuf... but it also is three dots not four when taking a lingering pause...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can use four dots in a sentence....

    It's a lingering pause with an added "umph"

    And at least I got all of the right letters even though a couple were out of place.. you weren't even close with "buff".

    ReplyDelete