Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thoughts on children

I have never seen so much excitement in one school
as I did yesterday. After a week like this week everyone
including staff and children were itching for the much needed break.
Spring, a chance to make fresh changes
days off to do what ever you want.
Summer is almost here.
Now that my babies are grown I find myself
with much time to do what it is that I love to do.
However I feel the twinge inside
when the time comes to sign children up for baseball
and summer reading club.
I loved sitting in baseball stands to cheer for the babies.
I loved making the trips to the library for new books
and story reading time.
It passes all to quickly.
There was so much talk yesterday about Internet usage
for children and I agree about some of it.
Sign your kids up for these things that are free.
What kids really want is time,
time with the parents who love them so much.
Play outside, take them to the park,
get out the house and enjoy the outdoors.
Spring is here and every area is filled with things
to do with children that are free.
Unfortunately so many children do not have people
to do this with them.
I have this one child at school who is mostly in trouble.
Every day he knows that if he stays out of trouble
I will come to him as he waits for the bus
and give him a back massage.
Every day he waits for me to report whether or not
he has had a good day.
He has not lied to me one day.
Since we started this, about three weeks ago
he has not spent one day in ISS.
For a back rub, a simple connection to another human being
the touch of someone he knows loves him he has stayed out of trouble.
Every day we talk about life as I rub his back for 5 minutes.
On the days I miss due to having something to do,
he reminds me I owe him because he has had a good day.
I know there is also a lot of talk about the troubled kids
getting away with too much.
Most of us who work with them daily believe in tough love.
We also know though that some of them only have us.
If we do not give them some form of normalcy they
will not get it at home.
They will have no one to show them how they should
want to live.
Suspending them, leaving them home in the atmosphere
they live in will not help them.
I understand the feelings of parents of the children who get
what they need at home.
However if we do not try and teach them a little about love
and what is decent behavior the majority will
grow up as adults with these other children who have what they need.
I know it is scary for those who raise their children
to be responsible citizens but in the long run
when we try and help the troubled children it hopefully
will make the community safer when they all grow up.
More goes on in a school than
reading, writing and arithmetic.
We are all striving for a safer life for all children when
they grow up. We try everyday to make a difference in
a troubled child's life but realize this is also
for the children who have all they need to succeed.
A safer world for all children is what I want.
Know that my job as the school nurse
is so much more than checking to see if children are sick.
It consists of hugs, feeding breakfasts, explaining to
students what is the normal way to handle issues.
It consists of more mothering than nursing on most days.
It is why I love this job.
One of the things I am most proud of
is the way I mothered my own babies.
To be able to carry that out for other children
who do not have that at their homes
makes my job the most rewarding I have ever had.
There is not one employee at TES who
does not do the same with the children they
encounter.
the job of raising and teaching children continues at TES.


2 comments:

  1. This is a test. I always have trouble selecting a profile and sending?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great. It worked. glad, cause just felt that I HAD to respond to this Blog. My Angel of a lil sista, although I haven't had time to comment on your Blogs lately cause my job is so crazy and even when I'm home, I find myself doing work. But anyway........I do ALWAYS (even if 2,3 or 4 days may go by) read your Blogs. This one I can not pass up. I BELIEVE AND KNOW WITH ALL MY BEING THAT GOD HAS A PLAN FOR US ALL. WHEN HE ALLOWED YOUR LIFE TO CONTINUE AT THE AGE OF 5, I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT YOU WERE PUT HERE FOR ALL THE CHILDREN YOU HAVE ENCOUNTERED AND YOU HAVE MET AND EXCEEDED YOUR CALLING FOR CHILDREN. THANK GOD FOR YOU AND YOUR GOD GIVEN TALENT AND ABILITY TO EFFECT AND AFFECT CHILDREN'S LIVES EVERYDAY. I'M SURE THAT EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A GROCERY STORE, MINDING YOUR OWN SHOPPING BUSINESS AND SEE A CHILD, YOU MUST ACKNOWLEDGE AND RESPOND ACCORDINGLY. YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN A CHILD(REN)'S LIFE EVERYDAY AND YOU HAVE EXCEEDED YOUR CALLING FROM OUR GOOD LORD, WHO ALSO ALLOWED AND BLESSED US WITH THE BEST BABY SISTER IN THE WORLD. I DON'T SAY IT MUCH AND I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN A WHILE. I MISS YOU, APPRECIATE YOU AND PROMISE I WILL SEE YOU SOON AND WHEN I DO ALL I WANT IS A GREAT BIG HUG FROM MY LIL ANGEL AND GIFT FROM GOD. AND FROM THE CHILDREN WHO YOU NURTURE EACH DAY, THANK YOU FROM THEM TOO. I KNOW YOU HAVEN'T BEEN FEELING WELL AND I'M SORRY FOR THAT. IF YOU EVER NEED ANYTHING, I'M JUST A PHONE CALL AND SOMETIMES JUST A FEW MILES AWAY. THANK YOU FOR MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE THROUGH THE CHILDREN. IF ALL WERE TO END TOMORROW, AND THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT WERE TO EXPIRE, KNOW THAT YOU HAVE DONE YOUR JOB EXCEEDINGLY WELL, TO SAY THE LEAST, WHILE WE WERE HERE. FEW PEOPLE CAN GO TO BED AT NIGHT AND KNOW, FOR A FACT, THAT THEY HAVE MADE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOR LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE. SLEEP WELL LITTLE ONE, YOU CAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE. ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU GOD FOR LILLY AND THANK YOU LILLY FOR BEING YOU!!! GOD SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!
    LOVE, YOUR #3 (NUMBER ORDER ONLY, LOL)BIG SISTA.

    ReplyDelete