Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THANKS TO MY MOTHER

I have just completed a book called
THANKS TO MY MOTHER
by: Schoschana Rabinovici
It is a book that my friend, Sue B.
confiscated from a 4th grade classroom at our school.
It isn't a popular book in the 4th grade.
Evidently children are not interested in
what happened in the 40's to all
while Hitler forces invaded the Jewish communities.
This is a must read book.
Often I say that it is a sad world right now.
That I would not want to raise children in
todays world,
but while reading books such as this I realize
that the things that happened to people in these
times of the 40's was so much worse than anything
we are facing in todays world in our US of A.
This is a true story written by a woman
of her horrors that began when she was 8 years old.
The most touching sentence for me was a one-liner.
The story behind the sentence was
a mother who had smuggled her young son and
dressed him as a girl into the concentration camps
where they were moved.
All day she would work and have this young child hide
under the bunks all day without food or bathroom
until she returned late in the night to give
him a portion of her bread and water ration.
After many months of this the child finally was caught.
The thugs took her son to have him executed.
The other women at the camp tried to keep the young
mother there with them so at least she would be spared.
She jumped on the truck to hold her baby even
as women pulled on her to keep her there.
One friend said to her that she could no longer
save him, save yourself they said.
Her words to the crowds of these women who had
become her friends who begged her to stay,
"IT IS WORTH SACRIFICING MY WHOLE LIFE,
SO THAT MY SON CAN FEEL SAFE AND AT
PEACE FOR HALF AN HOUR."
Wow, all Mothers say they would die for their children
but how many of us would have the courage to die
along with them for a half hour of peace for the child?
Much thought here today on the blog.
Oh and Happy one year birthday, BLOG!

4 comments:

  1. Good post. Helps one to remember why we fought the wars we fought and to do what it takes not to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for sure that I would do the samething for my girls. I wish we could protect them from all the bad things that go on in this world, but we can only do what we can. Great post, Aunt Lil! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read that book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post about a mother's undying love for her children..I would love to read that book but think it may cause me to be depressed...maybe I will wait awhile!

    ReplyDelete