Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

30 years have gone...

Tonight is my 30 year football game reunion.
It is a traditional thing at South Lafourche High school
that on homecoming night the classes of
10 year, 20 year, 30 year walk down the field for the game.
I was there for my 10 year walk and was too involved with
my life to do the 20 year one.
I have said many times, and I am not proud of it,
"I keep in touch with the ones I wanted to and the rest,
I don't really need to see"
I am ashamed of this statement but want to always be
honest here where I write my feelings.
I was so wrong, so wrong to make such a self-righteous statement.
This year, when Jade died I had many emotions.
I regretted not staying in better touch with those
who shared my childhood with me.
I could write a book of memories I have with so many
of these people I will see tonight.
We are getting older. Yes to many we are still young.
To my sisters, they still think I am a little one
and can't believe I am celebrating my 30 year renunion.
I have made many friends since I have moved to Thibodaux.
Two of those wonderful friends happen to be girls
who graduated with me in 1981 and I barely knew back then.
Tonight I will ride with one of those women to our old
football stadium to meet the other who is going early.
It is one of those things that you think you don't want
to do and then when you do it, you are so happy,
so blessed that you did.
It will be a good night.
Tonight I will see some who I have not seen in 30 years
and there will be many missing who have passed on to
another place, I choose to call heaven.
Tonight's going to be a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment