Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

my moma's hands

I've been thinking of moma's hands often lately.
Those hands have been through a lot.
She has changed all 7 of her children's diapers,
wiped all of our tears.
All of us are bonded by those hands.
I remember being a little girl and always
playing with her hands in church.
Especially on Sunday nights, when the darkness
came through the stained-glass windows
of Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church.
I would follow the veins in her hands and play
with that same Mother's ring she still wears now
as seen in the picture.
Many evenings these hands held me as I fell asleep.
Many back rubs were given to me by these hands.
Vomit was cleaned with these hands and
for some of us, these same hands spanked us
(ya'll know who ya'll are).
She washed and picked up many dishes at Randolph's resturant
with these hands. Cooked many meals, cleaned
much seafood. Remember all the crab shells 
she would clean to stuff for stuffed crabs?
These hand washed many batches of clothes but
didn't like doing housework.
Many baths were given by these hands.
Now the hands are painful to her on many days
but I can never look at her and not know
how important those hands have been to all of us.
Her hands are connected to her heart.
When she is gone, it will be her hands I will
remember the most. She has carried us all
in the palms of those hands.


3 comments:

  1. Don't forget how much Bingo those hands play, too!!! I hope we freaking win tonight....way past due!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, we know who we are and we know who wasn't. You are so right about those hands. They have been around and hopefully will be for a long time. By the way, did those hands win Bingo last night????? Love ya Lil and your tributes to Momma.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and so true!

    ReplyDelete