Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

NONK JAY

I have never known my life without C.J. in it.
He may be my brother-in-law when it comes to
family dynamics but in my heart he has always
been more like a brother and even sometimes like a daddy to me.
This man has always loved me like his own child.
He not only always allowed me a place in his home
but I think there were a lot of times when I was a little
girl that he got excited when he knew I was coming.
Now that may have been fake but I never did know that.
I now wonder, why did he allow all these little
sisters of his wife to hang out for weeks on end
at his house and never complain about it?
He may not have had a choice but he surely acted 
like he loved having us around.
When I was in nursing school, I lived with them
and there were many mornings that it was just he and I
awake in the wee hours of the morning and he would
cook me breakfast. Now how many brother-in-laws 
did that?
I never forgot that...
On Saturdays I cannot cook a pot of beans without
Uncle Jay coming into my mind.
He'd cook beans almost every Saturday and Ronnie
would say over and over, "C.J., don't burn those beans,"
and he would be, "Veronica I will not burn the beans!!"
She'd go off and do her shopping, he'd fall asleep on the sofa,
and the bottom of the beans would be burnt.
He would pour those beans in another pot and
scrub up the other pot in hopes that Ronnie would not
know he burnt those beans,
As a little girl I always liked Uncle Jay's beans the best
because they were always a beige color with black specks...
Then when I had Roddie, both he and Veronica did
so much for me and helped me with babysitting and
whatever else I needed.
When Rod got a little older, Uncle Jay
would teach him about fantasy football
and they would have teams together,
he would take Roddie to see wrestlers at Nicholls
and so many other things that Roddie would
have missed out on had it not been for Uncle Jay.
Uncle Jay rarely missed any sporting event Roddie played in.
 Not only did he attend- ya'll all know how loudly he cheered!
He was like a grandpa to Roddie.
So when I saw this picture from the wedding,
it instantly made my heart so happy.
Their faces show it all, the 
love and respect they have for each other.
Jay I know I've told you many times before 
but need to say it one more time...
You are a very good man and I thank you
for all you have done for me and my children.
I still love White beans and miss yours!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Here's my CJ story .... one day, CJ, Veronica, myself, and my hot date were on our way to Houma for a "parents treating college students night out". Around LCO CJ starts the story. The story (which he read in Reader's Digest while on the can at work) is about a soldier in the Middle East with an all-weather armoire. CJ couldn't understand why the soldier had an all-weather armoire that he had to carry across the desert. Now Veronica would ask what in the world that guy was doing with that armorie?? Wasn't it heavy?? And CJ would say "Sure that's heavy" And Rebecca and I would just sat back and trid to figure out the point of the story. This went on well into Terrebonne Parish... the whole Grand Bois... I'd say we were just about to South Terrebonne High when Rebecca starts laughing. Choking, crying, laughing so hard that the black Nissan was shaking. She whispers to me (in between breaths) "he means armour" .. the guy was wearing a suit of all weather armour ... not carrying an all weather armoire. It took us to Prospect to finally get it out to Veronica. Good Ole Nonc Jay sat on the toilet and read about a soldier in Iraq carrying a piece of furniture across the desert when in reality it was about the new all-weathered armour the soldiers were getting. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOMENTS! A MOMENT I WILL NEVER FORGET. ESPECIALLY, WHEN WE FIGURED OUT EXACTLY WHAT THE H--L HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. TO THIS DAY WE STILL JOKE ABOUT THIS. FRANKLY, I STILL DON'T BELIEVE NONK JAY GETS IT TODAY! I DECIDED ON HIS TOMBSTONE IT WILL READ:

    HERE IS A MAN OF STEEL;
    WEARING HIS SUITE OF ARMOIRE!

    NOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW WHAT WE MEAN!

    ALL IN ALL - WE GOTTA LOVE HIM!

    RONNIE

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good,warm hearted man. C.J. never said no to anything I asked for. He was always one of the first people who showed up when I asked or needed help. Never refused anything to any one that I know of. Always very nice and polite to me,Cheryl and our Girls. I just can't understand why he stayed with Ronnie for so long, Just Kidding,Just Kidding. (LOL,LOL,LOL,Please LOL)
    I remember double dating with him and Ronnie. Going to Houma to party,Babe. And other places also. Man we used to have such a good time. Ronnie, you mentioned before how you believe that both my Girls picked such good men for their husbands. Well girl I'm here to tell you that You picked one hell of a great Soul Mate for yourself and YOUR Girls. Good job. But I also know as they say, "It Takes Two To Tango." And you have one H _ _ L of a dance partner.

    Thanks C.J. for everything you have done for me and if there is anything I can do for you ,please just let me know. But I don't think I can ever repay you for all the kindness you have shown me and my family in the past. But I would surely try my hardest.

    Luv-u-And All Your Family,(even my big sister)(LOL)

    P.S. Thankd also for allowing me to be the Parrin of your First Born. It always ment a lot to me.

    Later,
    Your-Brod-N-Law,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what always makes me laugh and I know you will all agree...here it is:

    "C.J....DID ANYONE EVER TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE AN A..HOLE???"

    "ONLY YOU, VERONICA, ONLY YOU!!!"

    Oh, How I love you, too, Jay!!! You have more patience than anyone in this entire world. The thing I love most about you is your hearty laugh.

    Your Smartest Sista!!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to all of the above Nonk Jay! You are a h__l of a man!! But, just so you know, C's not the Smartest Sista!!!!
    Love ya all, especially you today C.J.! This is you Blog day thanks to Lil. Great blog, Lil!!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. JUST TO LET ALL OF YOU KNOW, ESPECIALLY MY GOOD BROTHER, I ALWAYS SAID THAT GOD ALWAYS MAKES A PLACE IN HEAVEN FOR MOTHERS WELL GUESS WHAT HE TOOK MY PLACE AWAY FROM ME AND GAVE IT TO CJ BECAUSE ANYONE THAT CAN STAY WITH ME FOR ALMOST 44 YEARS HAS TO BE GREAT AND I'M THE FIRST TO ADMIT IT! YEA HE'S ONE OF A KIND AND ALTHOUGH OVER THE LAST 44 YEARS I COULD HAVE PICKED UP AND LEFT BUT WHO ELSE WOULD PUT UP WITH ME? SO I DECIDED TO KEEP HIM! GOTTA LOVE HIM!

    THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!

    LU
    RONNIE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Uncle J is awesome! He has such a big heart. Aunt Ronnie, you both make a terrific pair!

    ReplyDelete