Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ASH WEDNESDAY

Yes it is here, the time of year for prayer and reflection.
Gone is the Superbowl, Lombardi Gras, and Fat Tuesday.
Time to focus more on ourselves, to understand
a closer relationship with God.
It is only two months since the new year began.
Already I have had time to falter on some of my resolutions.
However I am paving a road, and just like road paving,
the weather sometimes gets in the way
and there is a delay in the paving.
So today I will once again begin.
I am up early and will receive my ashes at 7 am.
I will go to the gym and once again make
my health and my spiritual life a priority.
I will remember once again that I am a sinner
and I will falter.
Even though I falter I will pick myself up,
dust myself off and continue to pave the road
that others are to follow.
I am always better during Lenten season than
I am at New years resolutions.
There is something about doing it for myself and
doing it for God that makes a difference in my life.
So goodbye chocolate and junk foods,
hello church and Larousse gym.
Goodbye meat on Fridays, hello crawfish at Bubba's.
Whether you are a Catholic or not,
try and use this time for reflection of changes
you may need to make in your life.
I love Lenten season, I really do.
l


2 comments:

  1. Me and my grandmother would always have heated discussions on Friday's in lent (mainly because I would instigate them) As you know, I was a loyal attendant of lunch at the grandmothers and I could pretty much tell you each day the entire menu for the entire year day by day because it didn't vary too much. But during Lent, the quality or quantity didn't change, just the dish..... we'd have crawfish stew, or fried catfish, or shrimp fricasse, or oyster loafs (wasn't called a po-boy in that house) which would allow me to ask how are we suffering?? And the old school in her would inform me that we weren't eating meat (which to most people would be enough) but I would always "crank it up a knotch" and reply that I could eat this everyday so again how was I suffering .... her reply was "keep it up and you'll start suffering" Every now and then I could get far enough to bring up poule-d'eau because that wasn't meat either in the old days ... So were my lenten days in Lucy's kitchen. It was really interesting around Good Friday when she'd tell me how she went to church as a kid and my grandfather would tell me how he and his family went crawfishing on Good Friday as a kid .... then he'd ask "who turned out better?" (ring the bell because it was on again) ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment, Mikie!! You are really lucky to have had your grandparents around and it's awesome to hear your stories.

    I don't think that I have ever done a Penance because I knew darn well that if there was something I wasn't supposed to have or do...forget, I'd be hiding in the corner licking my fingers from the chocolate that I was supposed to have given up.

    It's Okay, because God knows me anyway and he accepts me the way that I am...

    ReplyDelete