Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter Olympics

Tonight we begin the 2010 Winter Olympics
in Vancouver Canada.
The opening begins tonight.
I am a fan of the Olympics.
This may seem odd to some but not if you
think of all the personal, tear jerking stories
you find out about while watching these
athletes from all over the world.
Each comes to win gold,
each comes with a life full of stories to tell.
Commercials are already telling the stories of
Olympics past, like the one of Dan Jansen
who was skating for gold the day his sister Jane died of cancer.
He promised her the gold but slipped on the ice
and went home only to bury his sister.
Six years later he returned not only to win
the gold for his sister but to parade his baby daughter
around the ice, the baby's name:
No other than Jane.
I remember that year because I remember the story.
So tonight I will be glued to the opening ceremony
as I scrap to get to know the teams of 2010
and may the best country (ahem, USA) win!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thankfully it is in our hemisphere so it will be at decent hours .... unlike summer, there really aren't many events that we can relate with (haven't seen any blogs about the Collins' family playing ice hockey) I myself enjoy the luge and bob sledding and ladies' figure skating because those kids are 1000 times more artistic then the men (not enough testorone for me) I like speed skating and the skiing sports .. I don't like the x-game type sports like moguls and snow boarding because I think it was simply America's way of getting some games in that we could actually win.... and I heard David Vitter was carrying the torch for the Americans... go figure Lil, now you've got to watch Ghost Whisperer instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THE WINTER OLYMPICS! I THINK I LIKE THE WINTER MORE THAN THE SUMMER. PLAN TO STAY IN FRONT OF THE TV FOR AS LONG AS THERE IS SOMETHING TO WATCH. MAYBE NOT AS LONG AS "SUPER WHO DAT BOWL" SUNDAY OR "LAMBARDIA(SC)GRAS" TUESDAY BUT I PLAN ON STAYING UP! I WAS GLUED TO THE TV FROM SATURDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. RESTED, SLEPT, ATE, ECT. IN FROM OF THAT TV. WISH I COULD HAVE THOUGHT OF A WAY TO HAVE "BATHROOM" AROUND MY CHAIR BUT HAD TO GET UP FOR THAT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could do like Taunt Mone and just go in your depends, hahahahaha just joking taunt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nannie, when Mikie goes shopping at the Thibodaux Regional Surgical Center for Diamonds, ask him to bring you a catheter...bathroom problem solved!!!

    Me and my Kindle have become best buds and I'm really going to take it hard when I won't be able to spend as much time with it as I am now. Of course, being on pain meds, the book I'm reading now is awesome, I just wish I could remember what it is about from one day to the next...sheesh...

    ReplyDelete