Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

26 years ago...

Twenty six years ago today I married my high school
love, Ronald Riera (aka hunk of burning love)
He had asked me to marry him many times and
I had said no. He got tired of asking so he
left my parents home where we were both living.
He gave me two weeks to decide whether or not
I would marry him. If I decided I didn't want that
he was moving on. My first thoughts were,
"Good riddance, no body's gonna make me do
anything I don't want to."
Yet after two days without him I called
and begged him to come back, hence we
were engaged.
I knew from the very beginning it was going to be a rocky start.
Then Roddie came to us, against all odds and
my priorities changed, Ronnie's did not.
It was then that I realized we had a problem.
A year later, Ronnie entered a drug treatment program
and never looked back.
I wish I could say after that it was a fairy tale, that
everything was so perfect but really, the survival
of this marriage has been a 100% commitment of
the both of us. There were many times that the
two of us thought it was too much work that
to be without the other would be easier.
Yet we had made a promise to our marriage
and we continued on, working hard
to make this marriage work, something to fight for,
something that would give our two children
a place to look when wondering what a relationship
should look like.
Yes, it has been a strange little relationship
but a story about love and what commitment can do.
It is a story of taking vows seriously and
putting yourself aside for the betterment of a family.
There have been many storms in the last 26 years
but there have been more rainbows.
So we carry-on now that the kids are grown.
I love this man, even if he wears my clothes,
even if he constantly goes behind me to clean something,
even if he never puts my dishes where they belong,
even if he calls me 25 times a day....
I love him.
When people ask me how we did it
what can I say?
All I can think of is hard work and the love
of a good man.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Lil and Ronnie!

    Your love is true and you are a wonderful example to your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are like manna from heaven for me. Eric Clapton is playing in my head as I read of your love as it started from a "bud" and blossomed into the emotional love machine it is. Look at the last picture. Lil with her loving hand on Ronald's chest, and Ronald with one hand on the hip and the other meandering around. And ofcourse the picture above....it's titled "How Many Of Us ........... does it takes to carry Ron?" But seriously, how in the world can you not stand back and admire those two for the road they've traveled and the one they're paving. Two of the best people I know. Love is in the air Nonc Ron ... exciting and new .... so hop aboard ... and take a step that's new ... ON YOUR LOVE BOAT tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miki,

    I was wondering where should I bring her to eat, I was thinking MC Donald, Tac Bell or stay home under the covers and eat a lunchmeat sandwich and try to make another little Jesi ( Dameaon), I would like to bring her at a special place, but I haven't been at work in a while, and her and Jesi has spend all my money, time to go back to work. Hey when are you'll coming to Thibodaux to eat out, The tab is on me, Obama sent me a check from the stimulus plan for being out of work, so I figuired we can treat you'll. Hey if we make another Jesi, do you want to be the Paran?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me be serious for once, many people today don't stay married long because they have great expectations from what a married life should be, most of these expectations are created from TV shows like DR phil, and people in this world living a lie and pretending that they have the perfect marriage, but I'm here to tell you there is no such thing, because these people are miserable and living a lie . Today is 26 years that we are married and I can honestly say that I am happily married and got a good wife and that some days I want to hit the road and I know that some days she wants to hit the road, but thats the easy way out. But I'm grateful that we haven't lyed to our kids and pretented to the outside world that we have the perfect relationship, cause we don't. So in closing i would like to wish my wife a happy anniversery, this is your love letter, I know I ain't a very romantic , but I do love you and hope to have many more years with you, I do wish that you would wear them little terry cloth shorts that you use to wear when we first got married because those things use to bring out very intense feelings, let me stop while I'm ahead.

    Love You,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite story!!! That's so sweet!! Happy anniversery!!
    Mr Ronnie I have a feeling she loves ur love note!!! I know I did!!
    Y'all have a great day!!!

    Love y'all!
    Kd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ronald... MAKE IT A NIGHT TO BLOG ABOUT!!

    ReplyDelete