Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

guess who graduates from college this May?

April and May finds us always busy with communions
and graduations.
This May our family will make the trip to Ruston
to wish good luck to my Great-nephew, Bronson
as he graduates from college.
When you talk about "against all odds"
this is what I think about when I begin to think about all
this boy has overcome to graduate from college.
He is the son of my niece, Toya and her highschool love, Sam.
Toya is the daughter of my brother, Peter and his
highschool love. Without going into a big
explanation that may not be all correct
I will just say that Toya was born to her mother
while my brother was in Vietnam.
Her mother moved on and married someone else
so Toya only became a big part of our lives
after her Mother died of breast cancer.
She was a teenager then and not long after
Toya found herself pregnant with Bronson.
Such is life that this child, Bronson knew to be his own.
My sister-in-law, Cheryl took Toya under her wing
during this pregancy to teach her all the makings of
taking care of a little baby.
Toya's life was complicated but I have always admired
her for the fact that when she couldn't be her best for
her oldest child, she did the marathon thing and
allowed his father, Sam to raise him.
Isn't that true unconditional love when
you realize you are not the best thing for your
child at the time and you allow the healthier
parent to do the job until you get yourself together
so you can be the best for him.
Because of this extraordinary love this child, now a man
has beaten all the odds and soon will be a college graduate.
Sam and Toya have done an amazing job with this child.
Toya, who once she got her life settled was
100% his mother, remaining thankful even to today
of all everyone did to help her raise this child.
Toya stepped up to the plate in the last 10 years to not
be just a single parent but a coparent with Sam
to give Bronson what he needed to succeed.
All us mothers are proud of our children
but to hear Toya speak of her first born,
well it is in awe of all he has achieved,
all she prayed and wished for and more.
I have very few regrets in my life
but one is that I was not more a part of Bronson's growing
up years. At the time I was busy raising my own children,
not as courageous as I am now.
However all of us, when we had the chance let him
know, spoke of how much we loved him.
I am so proud of this boy and will be
in Ruston on May 22nd to celebrate with his Collins
family to once again let him know just how important
he is to all of us.
His wonderful girlfriend, Cassi is a lucky girl
to have the love of this fine man,
for he has seen the world through a different set
of eyes, he is wise beyond his years.
In a life that he could have chosen the easy
road of "just making it"
or striving for the best,
he took the harder road.
He is an amazing brother to his little brother,
Dane and he will be a wonderful father taking
the lessons he has learned from all the adults
in his life to make him the man he is today.
I am so darn proud of this nephew of mine.
Good luck, my love, good luck!

4 comments:

  1. This surely brought tears to my eyes!!!! I am so blessed to have my 2 boys!!! Bronson has been the most inspirational person in my life: where no one could reach me....HE did just by the smile on his face!! Amazing what our children could teach us! I still learn from Bronson all the time. He has pulled me through some of the roughest times in my life and doesn't even know it!! He has become a fine young man and I think its time I not only tell him but show him! Thanks Aunt Lil and everyone for sticking with us! God Bless and hope to see you all there to celebrate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS NOT IN TOYA'S LIFE BECAOSE LIKE LILLY I WAS BUSY WITH MY OWN LIFE AND FAMILY, TOYA HAPPU EASTER LOVE TAUNT MONE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who agrees that Taunt Mone needs Spellcheck???? Poor baby, it's not because she can't spell, she can't freaking see is the problem...Love ya, Mone!!

    I never felt that I wasn't a part of Toya or Bronson or Marty or Dane or anyone else's life. Like I told Toya this morning in an email...some of us live less than 2 miles from each other and the only time we ever talk or see each other is for special occassions. what is important is that the quality of time we spend together far surpasses the quantity of time. We can spend years and years together and not get as much enjoyment than if we spent just one very special hour together.

    I am proud of everyone in our whole entire family and each one will have their special occassions in which we will all be together and enjoy each other.

    Bronson, I am so proud of the kid you were and the young man that you are today. Yes, you had lots and lots of help, but it was you, Bronson, who succeeded. There were right choices and wrong choices and it was you who took the right path of life. To graduate from college is not something that many of us have achieved and with all my heart I wish you the best that life has to give.

    Looking forward to your special day and, hey, who knows, maybe we'll be able to get at least a hug from Dane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot, something so P.S.

    I love ya, Bronson!!!
    Aunt C

    ReplyDelete