Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

447-7471

447-7471
No longer is this my home number.
Finally HOBL and I did what we always said we would do.
When Jesi graduated from high school we would
get rid of the house phone and resort to cells only.
I guess I should say,
I HATE THE SOUND OF A RINGING HOUSE PHONE
Now all of those who laugh at how "frugal"
(cough, cough cheap)
we are I have to say, this decision, for me
had nothing to do with the 50 bucks HOBL spent
each month to have the monster.
For me, after speaking on the phone all day
to parents there is nothing that drove me
crazy more than the sound of the ringing phone.
Now I know what some of you are thinking,
same as baby girl said when she tried to protest the situation.
(of course, we offered to keep it if she would pay the bill,
hence the loss of the house phone)
"How can you say you hate the phone when sometimes
you spend hours talking to your sisters and nieces?"
Yep, it sounds like a double standard coming from me.
However, many days in the evening when the phone rang
no one here would answer it.
Why, well mostly because usually it was
a salesperson, someone telling my via a taped message
that my car warranty was about to expire,
and as all of you know, my favorite,
freaking DAVID VITTER calling me.
Facts are as I get older I hate speaking on the phone more.
On my cell, I love to text and I can screen my calls
because I can see who is calling
and David Vitter does not yet have my cell number.
Yet, there was a time when I lived on that phone
I can still remember my home phone number that
I kept throughout my childhood until my Mumsie moved
to Cut Off: 4755371
Yep on this line I did lots of gossiping as a teenager,
spoke to many boys and girls alike for hours at a time.
Phones in our bedrooms were not allowed but
the old green chair near the phone became one of my
favorite places to hang out.
Once I got to high school, being the only child left at home,
I convinced Daddy to get a long cord and I was able
to walk this phone across the room, up the stairs,
to the first room on the left which was my room at the time.
Then when I married the HOBL and moved to Galliano
we had the number 6322798 for the whole marriage
until we moved to Thibodaux.
Oh much happened on this number.
I learned how to parent from others on this number.
Spoke with many other parents on that line.
Spoke many times with HOBL wherever he was working
through those years.
Many arguments and making up happened on that line.
Then there was 447-7471 the last one.
The one we got when we moved to Thibodaux.
When we took a leap of faith in hopes of
saving baby boys life and giving baby girl a new start.
It was one of the best things we have ever done,
a thing that I still don't ever regret.
So a part of my life is done when it comes to landlines.
I have no need for them.
It has been one of the best things we have done lately.
It is so peaceful to come home and not have to hear
the phone ring. To be able to relax without hearing
the screeching ring and hunting for the phone.
For the absence of hearing 5 rings before the
answering machine picks up and no one leaves a message.
For not having to know via phone that
Stage is having a huge sale and I am invited.
I sometimes hate admitting when HOBL is right.
This time, he definitely was on target.
Call or text the cell if you need me.
I do not see a landline in my future.

6 comments:

  1. the next thing we will get rid of is the cable, electricity and water. We can go take a bath at the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jes... move out. Even I can see the writing on the wall. But be warned, the minute you move out, it's PARTY TIME.. NO EXPENSES WILL BE SPARED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmmm, that is a thought, can't tell if this sarcasm is from baby girl or my BFOB. HOBL is always saying he could live off the land. However, with the oil spill we may need the water to clean our animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. However I cannot live without my cable, I need to be able to watch Nurse Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah and when baby girl moves out I will have a scrapbook room that I will not have to share a guest bedroom with and I can guarantee in that room all the money I saved from the landline will be spent in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl/ No more phome Going fishing Gone Gone pecon Big Sisyer Mone

    ReplyDelete