Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Real tragedies of the oil rig explosion


I have not said much about the oil field explosion.
I am just like everyone else, worried about
the environment and how will the rig
be capped off.
I am worried about the people who make
their livelyhood by shrimping, crabbing and fishing
the waterways of Louisiana.
Yet, for me, it is so much more for me.
Because my HOBL and my baby boy both
work in this type of oilfield production
it also hits home on a more personal level.
That HOBL works for BP, the company that
is responsible for this tragedy also keeps me
thinking a lot these days.
It hit me the hardest when baby boy called
the day after the explosion from his own
deep water platform to ask if I had seen the pictures
of the burning platform.
In the picture was the flaming torches of the platform
and the boats all around it spraying water into
the flames.
I say to baby boy, " as tragic as it is, aren't the pictures
beautiful?"
My baby boy says to me, " Mom, when I see those pictures
all I see is scary."
Well leave it to baby boy to put it all in perspective for me.
He seems to do that lots of times.
So that statement gets me thinking of the
11 lives that have been lost in the explosion.
The true tragedy of this mess.
Today on the online daily comet I get the
first glimpse of the lives of these 11 men.
The families speak of them understanding
the big picture of this spill but also
feel like their loved ones have been forgotten
in all the talk of plans on how to shut off this well.
They are right. At any time of the day you can
turn on the TV to almost any channel and hear about
the spill but very seldom are the lives of these men mentioned.
I find out about these 11 men on the Comet today.
One of the youngest will be a father for the second time
any day now. His wife is 9 months pregnant.
She is having a boy.
4 were from Mississippi and were avid hunters.
One had three children and the day of the call
from the Comet his wife said through tears
she couldn't talk, she was having a birthday party for
the oldest of her three children.
Their little girl was three.
Because I am a people person,
I am intrigued by the lives of those who are now deceased.
Read the Comet article and remember these families
in your prayers.
...oh, and give a little prayer up for the men in my life
and those they work with, that they can be
safe in their work places.

9 comments:

  1. I've been asking about the 11 men for a while now. You hear all the garbage about this spill, the containment, the clean-up, the economic impact but nothing about the 11 souls that were tragically lost. These men were doing (as I like to say) what you're supposed to do. Get a job, take care of yourself and family, and contribute to better-ment of society. Now all you hear about is how this one is going to lose this or that one is going to lose that which is VERY important jargon to join the lawsuit. I say to BP hire as many of the unemployed that you can, get them trained and get them to the spill. I say to BP clean the mess at the same time lowering the unemployment rate. BP will spend billions to clean the mess which means someone will have to make the billions. The supply boats, the response boats, the clean up crews, etc etc etc. If you can't fish or trawl or crab, then start cleaning. Louisiana has been producing oil for over 60 years and believe me there's been more oil released into the gulf than you see here. It will get cleaned. Life will return to normal. What you see on the media is what they need to show to get ratings so people will "tune in". I'm sorry, but when they show me a picture of a hard-head catfish dead on the beach with the caption "dead animals are arriving" I want to scream. Do you know on any given day you can walk Fourchon or Grand Isle beach and find just as many dead animals of all kind not to mention 4.56 million freaking catfish. I'm sorry but doesn't Louisiana have 80% of its coast not affected by this which has all of this abundant life growing? Not to mention the Texas coast. Please don't show me a dead catfish and expect a tear to come to my eye. If you ever got stung by one of those than you're remorse level for those things is pretty much HISTORY! I guess I had a lot to say after reading the national news garbage. I hope the 11 families get the media coverage they deserve and the compensation as well. I also think BP should make Ronald the Lafourche Parish liasson for the clean up effort and have him stationed here during the process! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Miki,

    All I got to say about this is it was a tragedy and I feel That BP will take care of the people involved, and don't ever forget what BP has done for the community, they just donated a whole bunch of money to the school system and also don't forget the help that they did for the past Hurricanes, because I personnally was involved in handing out generators and equiptment to people. BP is a great company and I'm proud to work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing, withotu Bp, Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc, Louisiana would have no economy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BP's getting the rap for Transocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also I must say that all of Offshore had a safety shutdown and had a special moment of silence to Pay respect to the workers thatlost there lives, BP employees and management feel for these families that lost love ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, HOBL, these are the things that the news leaves out of the newscasts. I am glad you let me know that, I didn't realize that.
    BP is a family oriented company, the people behind that name I know are loosing sleep knowing people were killed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... and I admire BP for standing up and saying they are responsible and do not seem to be pointing the finger at Transocean. They are the owners, they are responsible whether Transocean had a part in it or not.
    That is how I feel, anyway, a company of character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, a company of character. BUT CLEAN UP THE FREAKIN MESS. EVERY SINGLE DROP. When a well is drilled, there's a huge payout waiting and as the oil flows, the dollars come in. In this case the oil is flowing and the dollars must come out. They will cap the well and probably bring it on line later. They will skim the oil and probably sell it later. And they will clean the marshes and beaches. Take the lead from Nike and "JUST DO IT". The funniest thing I see (which will show you why I hate the national media)is they are washing the same bird over and over. This bird will never ever have feathers that shine like they do now and they must have pumped 2 gallons of pepto into it. At least get another bird. AND DON'T SHOW ME A DEAD CATFISH ON THE BEACH! THAT'S WHERE ALL CATFISH BELONG... DEAD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh in cause yall didnt see they are talking about the poor turtles who are dead....then show clips about the oil spill leading one to believe thats what happend to the turtles then say after its all done that the turtles' death is not related to the oil spill and most likely the fisherman and their nets....i agree whole heartedly that the men should be getting remembered....they should be in focus...my heart goes out to their friends and families...

    ReplyDelete