Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

POWER OF PRAYER


My friend Lorraine is a cancer survivor like me.
Yesterday at school I received an article from her
written by the Rev. Wilmer Todd.
She knows how much I and she shares the power of prayer
so she sends me this article and it made me smile.
It is supposed to be a true story and of course,
I believe.
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PRAYER
A pastor had a kitten that climbed a tree in his
backyard and was afraid to come down.
No amount of coaxing would get the scared kitten down.
The tree was young and not sturdy enough to climb.
The pastor decided to tie a rope from the tree to his
car so that he could bend the tree and then reach the kitten.
He set up the rope and slowly started bending the tree
by pulling it with his car. When he had just about
the right height, he decided to give another slight pull.
That was too much. The rope broke and the tree
sprang back to its upright position, and the kitten
went sailing through the air, out of sight.
The pastor felt terrible. He searched for the kitten
to no avail. He could not find the kitten so he prayed,
"Lord, I commend this kitten to your keeping"
and went about his business.
A few days later he sees one of his parishioners at the
grocery store with cat food in her basket.
Knowing she was not a cat lover, he questioned her
as to why she was buying food.
She replied,
"You will not believe this, Father, but for the longest time
my little girl has been pestering me for a cat. Just the
other day I told her, 'If God gives you a cat you can keep it'
So, she goes out in the yard, gets on her knees,
and asks God for a cat. Now I know you won't believe
this, but I saw it with my own eyes. A kitten
came flying out of the blue sky, with its paws
outspread, and landed right in front of her!"
MAY NONE OF US EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PRAYER.

2 comments:

  1. I said a prayer once that if God would stop it from raining, and we'd get to play our baseball game, I'd become a priest. We played our game but I didn't become a priest but I was a damn good alter boy.

    ReplyDelete