Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

mommy loving

On the day to day, I rarely focus on what has been lost
with Mumsie's dementia.
All of us children love her like a child these days.
We put her under our wing, drag her everywhere,
cater to her, as it should be when you find yourself
at 90 years old with 6 grown children to tend to you.
Yet there are those days that I miss being the child
with a Momma you can call and count on for help.
The momma that can help you out in a pinch.
I am so thankful that we have her and love
the Mumsie she has become.
Sometimes I long for the other momma.
Last night Mumsie called me saying she wasn't feeling good.
I decided to spend the night with her.
I felt like she would be fine but I could tell she was
frightened.
I tucked her in and fixed the sofa bed.
I read while she rested and when I was sure she was fine
I fell asleep thinking about how much momma has changed
over the years.
I fell asleep but during the night I imagine I kicked my
covers off.
I awakened during the early morning hours to
Mumsie tucking in and covering my feet.
Then I missed the old momma strongly.
That momma, however still lives in the little Mumsie
who graces us today.
I felt just like her little girl for a few minutes,
and I slept so good for the rest of the hours I was there.
Enjoy your mother, wherever she may be in her life today.

1 comment: