Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

PINK DOVE

(myself and Reggie, cousin at 4)
Last night as I prepared for the "bath"
I opened a new box of pink Dove soap.
I took a big wift of the wonderful aroma
and immediately was brought back to a place
that was my safe place while going through cancer.
My aunt Ga-Gald and Uncle Red's home was
that safe place. When I was there, awaiting
the doctors appointments and hospital stays
that were going to cause havoc on my body,
I felt safe. It is where I encountered my first
bar of Pink Dove.
I believed as a child that my aunt and uncle were rich.
At my home that was always filled with many
mouths to feed we only had the soap that happened
to be on sale that week. Usually Dial was the cheapest.
Yet in Chalmette, they used only Pink Dove.
I awaited the evening that would take me into
their elegant bathroom for the smell and lather
of the Pink soap.
I stayed in the tub for long periods of time,
wishing that at my house we could have Dove.
I never asked for it, it wasn't something you
shared with your parents.
I know if I had I would have had it.
Yet I didn't want it at my house.
Yes I was as deep as I am now as a little child.
I wanted my Griffin house to be where
the soap was used because it brought me
comfort at a time when I had no control over
what happened to me.
As I sat in the hospital of Touro, awaiting
to be taken from my parents into a surgical suite
where they would poke and prod me,
catheterize and x-ray me,
I could smell the aroma of Pink Dove soap
on my skin and I felt comforted.
It is probably no surprise to all of you followers
that I now, and have since I am an adult, only
buy and use Dove soap.
It is not always the pink type.
The new green and orange are some of my favorites
but it is only in the scent of the Pink bar
that brings me back to the safe place of my childhood.
What a lucky little girl I was!

4 comments:

  1. I'm the safeguard type ... always the "smallest soap in the house"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!! safeguard? you have got to try pink dove as you venture on your simple abundance journey, gets the estrogen flowing... hobl uses it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and BFOB, no comments on how stinking cute I was?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess "cute" is all a matter of perspective. We have white dove ... and blue dial ... but I prefer safeguard and lever 2000. I like for it to kill the germs, not make them smell good.

    ReplyDelete