Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

peacemakers unite

At the Woman of God conference,
the bishop reminded us 100 some-odd women
that this is the year of peace.
That got me thinking, do I on an average day strive for peace?
I have a tendency for gossip especially when it is
negative yet it is not what I want to be.
A good story, whether true or not is hard to come by.
However, it is one of those things that I strive to change.
I want to see the good in others.
I want to try and bridge a gap that sometimes
hangs between two especially in families.
I try and see both sides and put my self in both sides shoes.
I fail big time often.
I do think that sometimes my words might make a difference to some.
I have the biggest chance when I make peace with my own
differences. I began at as a young adult to reflect on
my day each evening and try and make any mistakes I made that
day right. It is never easy apologizing when you know you have done
wrong but the peace comes when it does.
There have been times when my life that I didn't feel like asking for
forgiveness or felt like someone owed it to me and I didn't get it.
I have found over the course of my life that forgiveness is not
really for the other person but you release yourself when you forgive
from the chains that bind you when you are unforgiving.
Thinking of all of this I come across a definition
written by none other than one of my favorite people:
Martin Luther King
"PEACEMAKER:
SOMEONE WHO HAS SAUGHT TO TEACH,
TO TRANSFORM, TO MAKE FRIENDS, TO HEAL,
TO DEFEAT INJUSTICE OR CHOOSE LOVE INSTEAD OF HATE"
This is not a bad title to hold, I think...
may we all strive to make peace and do our part to make the
world a better place not only for us but for the children of
the world one being my Jilly-bean.

1 comment: