Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Plant a tree...

I pondered over, besides a savings account, what we could give
our Jilly-bean for Easter.
I combed the aisles of traditional Easter things and nothing
was good enough. Nothing was something that she would
remember as her gift of her first Easter when she happened
to be a mere 6 weeks old.
I was bothered by the fact that I didn't want to do traditional.
I wanted to do different as I want to be a different Mumsie
the kind that she thinks is weird but always fun,
the kind she will love just because I am different from most.
As I was in the car driving around thinking about all of this when
I heard Kidd Kraddic talking about giving a tree as a gift.
Right away my mind went back to a time when I was much
younger and I always wanted to plant a tree when my own
babies were born and take a picture of them in front of their
tree each year at the same time to see how they grew
along with the tree.
I never got a chance to do it for two reasons,
because we moved every few years and because
at the time trees were expensive and we had no money
to throw away on trees.
I thought of when we bought the house we are in now
that the previous owners talked about the tree in
my back yard that was planted the week of their first
daughters birth and how they planted her umbilical cord
under that tree.
How the Mother asked us never to cut it down and if we
did to let her know so she could see about moving it to her yard.
Her husband thought she was crazy about the fact that
it was not going to be an easy thing to dig a big tree up
and move it to their home.
I promised her that I would not cut the tree down no matter
how much HOBL threatened to do it.
With all of this in my mind I decided that only a tree
would be good enough for our Jilly-bean,
her gramps' "sweet pea"
I proceeded to Lowe's and bought our sweet
first grandchild a pecan tree.
Yes, a pecan tree.
She will be blessed with this huge yard to grow up in
and my thought went to a time in the future that she
will swing in a tree swing hung from her pecan tree,
a time when she will pick pecans for her Mumsie to make
her cookies with. A time that the shade will be a place for
picnics and tea parties.
I am happy with the purchase and her DeDa has already
planted it in a corner of their yard that needed shade.
Jilly-bean is now a proud owner of her own pecan tree
and HOBL and I are happy with our purchase.

5 comments:

  1. can i link this sit matter on my site

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family did that too... my great grandfather Nicol lost his whole family in the big Cheneirre storm. He was a young boy and saved himself in a Mulberry tree. They found him with no clothes in the tree. He planted a Mulberry tree in each of his children's yard. My Aunt Leilia used to say she always put on extra clothes for a storm so they wouldn't find her "chu-nu". The one in my yard made Mulberriers annually for as long as I could remember ............ right up to the day I cut that damn thing down! Berry juice stains clothes and for Katrina, the tree tore up some of my roof. Didn't shed a tear and figured I'd settle it up with my grandmother one day in heaven along with all the other things I'll probably get reemed about that house.

    Nice thought for Jilly ... as long as your pecan pie isn't crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma gave me a marry jane plant and I got stone to the bone anonomous and I haven't recovered yet. Just a joke people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hobl, it didn't make me laugh.... but I love you anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you too Uncle Ronald.

    ReplyDelete