Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The check is in the mail...

One day last week, I received a check from
Vanderbilt Hospital in the sum of $295.72
Two years ago I went to Vanderbilt in Tennessee
to get answers as to what chemotherapy and radiation
had done to my body back in 1968.
On that trip I was asked to sign a release
so that my records, my history might be used when
studying effects of these medications that saved my life.
I never thought about that paper again.
Yet at the same time I am reading a book about Henrietta Lacks
and how her cells were used without her consent,
I was being compensated for something I did two, almost three
years ago. An extra 300 dollars is not something I needed
but it was nice. Nice to think of what I could treat myself to.
With the extra money. I thought of Ipads and a new camera.
I thought of all the cricut cartridges I could buy.
The check stayed untouched as I wondered what exactly I would
do with the money.
For whatever reason, I didn't feel comfortable spending the money.
I am not sure why, it is mine, for the first time I have been
compensated for the life I lived way back when.
Still, I did not feel like I should spend it on wants.
You see, in the life HOBL and I have made for ourselves,
there is nothing I need, therefore it would have been used
for a want. Yesterday, yes, you guessed it, while brushing my
teeth, it comes to me.
I decide that I wanted to share the wealth.
I will send 50 to a friend who is battling cancer again for
the second time, a single gal who finds work hard for her.
I am going to give 50 to a dear friend who always smiles and
never complains but I know, because of a divorce, she finds
herself financially strapped.
I am going to give 50 to one of my own sisters who
is not only a cancer survivor like I, but has battled it twice
and now finds herself unable to work for the first time in her life.
That leaves me with three more 50 dollar checks.
I have decided I am going to give it to my children.
Not because they deserve or need it but because I can.
I am going to give 50 to my baby boy who I am so proud of
because he works hard so his wife can stay home with
his small child, because it is important to him that his little
daughter be only with people who love her at this time in
her life.
I am going to give 50 to baby girl because at 22 she is on her own
and has not once since she has made this life change,
has asked myself nor her daddy for a penny.
I realize how in this world, and in speaking to other parents,
there are very few 22 year olds who are not still compensated
monetarily by their parents.
The last 50 dollars will go to my precious bean...
for whatever her mommy thinks she needs at this time in her life.
I will ask that it not be saved but spent on something
that maybe is not a necessity which her parents provide for her
but for something that is fun or new clothing for the winter.
This makes me feel good inside because the fact is,
there is nothing I should want that I or HOBL, at this time in our
lives cannot buy if we choose to.
For 6 people I love....
"The check is in the mail"

5 comments:

  1. Where is my check, you can pay the water and sewage bills, thinks are a little rough, I can use the help,That way I don't have to work extra days and freeze my ass off in alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about the bfob? A 50 spot would have been nice to support the family in between welfare checks! And THANKS NONC RON for the laugh .... "That way I don't have to work extra days and freeze my ass off in alaska" Is that a "need" or a "want"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know actually what the little bean is going to get....a little tykes swing for the front porch. That way when you come visit during the cooler days coming, y'all can sit outside & swing! :). Lol. Love ya!
    -baby momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. good choices my friend!






    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. TANKS LITTLE SIS THIS MONEY CAME AT A GOOD TIME, I BOUGHT EXTERA FOOD, LIKE MORE DIBATIC FOOD WICH IS VERY EXPENSIVE, ANYONE READING THIS,I M THE SISTER SHE IS TALKING ABOUT. WHAT LIL DOES MOT KNOW IS I THIK OF WHAT SHE WENT THROUH AS A CHILD WITH HER CABCER, MOST OF HER LITTLE GIRL LIFE WAS LIVED IN HSPITALS AND PAIN, THE WHOLE FAMILY WAS INVOLVED IN HER RECOVERY,SO SIS I LOVE THE WAY YOU ALWAYS CONCER ME AS A TROPPER AND ALL OF THAT BUT YOU ARE AN INSPERATION TO ALL OF US IN THIS LOVING FAMILY, ALL OF MY SISTERS HAVE GIVEN ME 100 PERCENT OF THEIR TIME AND HAVE ALWAYS ENCOURAGE ME TO GO A LITTLE FURTHER AND ONE MORE STEP, MY SON AND DAUGHTER WERE THERE AT THE WORST TIME FOR ME,HOW CAN YOU PUY A PRICE ON THAT? YOUCAN'T, SO GETTING THE MONEY WAS SUCH A WORK OF TH lord THAT COULD ONLY HAVE TOLD MY SIS HOW TO SPEND THIS MONEY THANKS LIL god DID A GOOD JOB WHEN he PUT US ALL TOGRTHER, LOL MONE MOM TAUNT MONE DEV YOU SHOULD HAVE SISTERS LIKE MINE LOVE YOU DEV AUNT SIMONE

    ReplyDelete