Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

September is Childhood cancer awareness month


Right now, this moment,
I am following a 10 year old girl on carepages
who is battling Leukemia as I write.
Her cousin is a teacher at my school and back when
she and her family began this journey,
her cousin, Amanda, asked me to follow her
and leave words of encouragement when I could.
www.carepages.com/annalynnmartin
Anna lives in Tennessee and right now finds herself
at Vanderbilt, awaiting her bone marrow transplant
at the same hospital I visited just a few years ago.
Her mother today reminds all that the month of September
is childhood cancer awareness month.
She explains the statistic of 46/7.
Every hour 46 children are diagnosed with some form of
childhood cancer while 7 children earn their wings,
are taken from this Earth.
I can't even imagine her fears as she puts that statistic on paper.
It also, once again, reminds me of just what a lucky person
I am as I am sure those stats. were worse in the 60's.
Today my words are encouragement to Anna's mom and
are something to the effect of:
YES, THIS MONTH FOR YOUR FAMILY,
WILL NEVER BE LOOKED AT AS JUST ANOTHER MONTH AGAIN.
YET, WHEN ALL OF THIS OVER, WHEN YOU CAN TAKE
A DEEP BREATH AGAIN WITHOUT KNOWING
YOU ARE DOING IT, ANNA, YOUR SWEET DAUGHTER
WILL NEVER BE THE SAME CHILD SHE WAS BEFORE.
SHE WILL BE BETTER, SHE WILL LIVE HER LIFE LIKE
A WALKING BILLBOARD. NOT BY TELLING HER STORY
TO ALL WHO SHE MEETS, BUT BY
PUTTING A SMILE ON HER FACE, BY BEING JOYOUS.
OTHERS WILL WATCH HER AND WONDER WHY SHE IS
MOST ALWAYS SO HAPPY. WHEN ASKED WHY THEN,
SHE WILL SHARE HER STORY.
I KNOW.... I AM HER FUTURE
If you can, in any way this month,
donate something to the cause in the month of September!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Nurse Lily :) for the blog today. It is 8:00am, as tears fill my eyes. Thank you for taking time out and caring, praying and sending cards to my cousin. She truly does appreciates it. I love you!!
    Love Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following Anna's story and providing so much encouragement to our family. It always helps to hear those words from someone who has walked in our shoes. You are a blessing to our family, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIL FOR ALL WHO WILL READ YOUR BLOG, I AM LIL'S OLDEST SOSTER MONE AS THEY CALL ME,IT TAKES A LOVING FAMILY TO ENCOURGE ALL IN THE CARE OF SUCH A THING AS CANCER,LIL'S FAMILY KNOWS THIS, WE DID IT WHEN LIL HAD CANCER, TODAY SHE IS MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE SIS AND I LOVE YOU SIS NOT ONLY FOR YOUR COMMENT FOR OTHERS WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING WE DID BUT FOR THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR LITTLE CHILDREN AS YOU WERE, THANKS LIL LOVE YOU YHIS MUCH /////////////////// AND THEN SOME MONE

    ReplyDelete