Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Thoughts of Sandy...Storm of the century

As we, in South Louisiana, enjoy our wonderful fall weather
and breathe a sigh of relief that our hurricane season was very mild
and almost over, not all are as lucky as we have been in 2012.
Yet, this morning and late last night I could not stop hearing and
seeing the pictures and stories of the effect of Sandy
on the Jersey Shore and New York.
I am not sure it is this way for most but when tragedy strikes
my family, we don't dwell on the "poor me" but look
at what needs to be done and just get it done to make it right.
Take for instance, the hurricane of Juan.
We lost everything to a flood, I was sad and yes, I cried
but was thankful I had insurance and after the initial shock,
we cleaned up and started over very seldom discussing the sadness.
When I hear of tragedy of others, it strikes me with feelings of 
sadness for them more than when it was ourselves dealing with it.
As I watched the waters flood ground zero and change
the famous board walk for good,
as I watch videos of homes floating away and hear the stories
of all those who lost, I am saddened.
More so, than when it happened to us.
Even though I may never visit the Jersey Shore or New York,
I don't like the fact that because of Sandy it will be changed cities.
The feelings I have are that word "empathy" I spoke of just a few blogs ago.
I can honestly feel exactly what they are feeling because I have been there.
My sadness is greater for them than it was when it was us
rebuilding and picking up the pieces.
Bless all of them as it will take years for anything
to look remotely like it once was, if ever.
I mean the board walk has lost most of their rides
that have been there for so many years.
So sad about it all this morning.
They there are not like us, they are not 
usually hurricane victims.
Not fair but hurricanes never are.
I am sickened by their loss and yet, here
we prepare for Halloween in our little world.
It is what we do.
We, just like those victims, go on, we go forward,
for what other choices do we have?
Trick or Treat goes on, little kiddies are unaware of the tragedy
that has happened in part of their world so we prepare
for their good evening.
As it should be, sometimes, I wish I was young enough
to be able to live my life not knowing about disaster.
Prayers to those who have lost family members as I think the 
death toll was 29 last night.
They have lost the most, as you can rebuild but you
cannot call back the dead, not even on Halloween.
Just take a moment today in the business of the Halloween
parties, to think and pray for these places, these people.
God Speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment