Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Transporting to the old days

Most days you live in your life, go with the daily events
that have to happen.
Yet, some days, you memories let you be transported back to 
the life of the little girl you were.
Such was the day yesterday having the pleasure of being
at Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Roy Eserman's home.
Memories of the little girl who played there with my
cousins Jude and Reggie, Reggie and I being only months apart.
The home is small and yet always so interesting.
It was old when it was their new home so I always loved it.
Narrow rooms with no halls, high ceilings with high cubby holes
to hold storage. When we were young, the Eserman boys loved
to tell me stories of how their home was haunted.
How the little cubby holes were where dead people's spirits lived.
It was great!
Even as a young girl I liked ghost stories. I knew what they 
were telling me was not true but, I wanted to believe so I did.
Yesterday, a few things have changed.
There is a more updated kitchen and changed paneling on the walls.
I still love the house.
I also still love the people who remain living in the home.
You will never meet another couple like my
Aunt Jeannie and Uncle Roy.
They are funny together, Uncle Roy preaching to us,
as Aunt Jeannie jokes about Uncle Roy.
It's what lacks in many couples of the day.
I am sure they have had rough times, I am sure they
have had times they didn't like each other so much,
but they made it work and now have each other to grow old with.
As children, when we spent time there, we were going to pray.
We were not only going to pray but we were going to get on our
knees to do the praying. The thing about Uncle Roy that makes 
it all tolerable? Because he believes in what he says.
Not a hypocritical bone in that man's body.
A true evangelist.
I love the days that I am transported back to the days of childhood.
As I was outside loading up the car, getting Bean and Mommy,
Taunt Mone in, I am sure I could hear the past Aunt Jeannie,
screaming down the street,
"Jude Tatus, come inside right now so you can take a bath!"

No comments:

Post a Comment