Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Florida water did it to me



Most days I am very thankful that the babies are grown and
independent and I am no longer responsible for doing
all those things that parents have to do for little children.
Yet every once in a while, something brings me back
and I long for those days.
Yesterday it was Florida Water....
Explanation:
Myself and the Mumsie were heading to my bayou
to have pokeno with my girls.
I passed a drug store that advertised on their outside sign:
FLORIDA WATER 2OZ. BOTTLE $2.99
I immediately was brought back to another time.
Immediately had the lump in my throat or
gro-cud as my Cajun french allows me to say.
Right away thoughts of summer days spent in parks
watching the babies play baseball came to mind.
The days when Florida water was added to ice water
in a ice chest so that us parents could keep our babies
cooler on the hot Louisiana days that they played ball in.
Florida water in those days were a normal staple in our homes.
Florida water kept them so much cooler than just a wet towel did.
The days that all us parents followed these children wherever
their All-star teams took them came back to my memory.
Where we stayed in hotels with the whole teams and their
families to cheer on our young teams.
To a day when baby girl insisted that she had to play dixie youth
with the boys because soft ball was for girls, sissies.
To the days when one such team mate of Jesi's
would play outfield and when he would get too hot he would
just fall to the ground and act like he had passed out.
When the other players would run to check on him
he would lift his head and state,
"Get the coach"
Every time he did the same thing and his statement was always,
"Get the coach"
The coach that year was Uncle Ted and it still makes me
laugh to remember this.
I was brought back to the days that we worked concession stands
at Golden Meadow park and parents that you usually had
nothing in common with became some of your best friends
because we spent every summer together playing ball.
Memories of how I always stayed at practices.
I could have left them there, they were always in good hands
with people I would have trusted with their lives
but I never did. I enjoyed sitting on the old wooden stands
and watching them practice, gossiping with the other
die-hard parents who wouldn't leave.
I often wonder, why didn't I leave?
It was because there in those fields I got to watch my
babies do something that not all children are blessed to do.
Many times I sat there and just watched them
doing something that they loved and I was reminded
of what a miracle they were to me.
That all their parts worked and they were happy children.
I sat in awe of the wonders of these two children
and after this practice I got to take them home with me.
I sat there in the hopes that when they looked up it would give
them comfort to know that their mother was one who was
always there no matter what.
I hoped that they would be proud that their mother
cared enough to put all her things aside to make their
life the most important thing even if it was just a practice.
I was the lucky one that was allowed to be called their mother.
I was thankful that all in all they were good children
that they gave me very little trouble at this age.
I cheered them on sometimes silently and sometimes very loudly.
Yes, a simple sign advertising Florida water brought all
those memories back for me.
I pray that my babies one day can sit in stands
and admire the gift of the children that they will be blessed with.


4 comments:

  1. IF the very first picture is in fact the real A-Rod Riera, then all of the questions surrounding his professional baseball career can be answered with that one snapshot. Note the ball in the catcher's glove, the bat on the hitter's shoulder, and the all too familiar "maybe I should have swung" glance at the umpire. Glory Days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually is Jesi when she insisted she had to play with the boys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesi is batting and I think Kris is catching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well... the questions remain unanswered...

    ReplyDelete